Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1947 M16 for sale in Arroyo Grande. Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 M16 for sale in Arroyo Grande. Value?

1947 m16 Stake bed dump truck ready for restoration. what is this worth?

Does it run? If not, can the engine be turned over? Does it have brakes? How bad is the rust? Some photos would be helpful.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

It was an estate sale auction and the man who owned it had been a major prepper

I will go see if I can turn the motor over by hand. looks like it sat for many years no front wind shield only major rust is behind seat driver side quarter panel the rest appears to be surface rust.

Comment

I went out and was able to turn the crankshaft over. I simply applied extra pressure to the belt as I turned it and made sure to see that the crankshaft was moving. It did YAY!

Comment

Am no expert on M-series, but I know that big trucks are worth less than pickups, as few people have the means or the space to take on the restoration of a big truck. And unfortunately, dump trucks probably have the lowest likelihood of restoration. So it may only have value as a parts-donater. The cab looks good and could be worth about $750. There are probably a few hundred dollars worth of other body parts there, too. The Commander 6 engine is worth a $100 or so, depending on how badly it's worn and/or is rebuildable. The total value of parts might be $1500-2000, but it would take a fair amount of work to get that. Demand for some items (like pristine grilles and some body parts) is pretty good, but otherwise is low. I have posted a link to this thread on the Stude Truck Talk site.

Would be glad to be corrected if my guesses are off.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

If you have the means I would remove the bed and sell it as a cab & chassis. Most people will shy away from the extra 3000lb bed whether they are hauling it themselves or using a transport service since weight drives cost. You can remove the hydraulic pump from the engine and sell it with the bed seperately. I see it on ebay for $775 with no bids yet so you might have your answer since something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Best of luck with the sale

Comment

Don't forget the wheels, those are worth $100 each. True that those that want the M look to drop an SBC in it would prefer an M5 but andbody looking for a big M (M15, M16, M17) that is complete would want this guy. If this truck has all the dump hydraulics it would be worth much more. I wish I had a dump but not enough to buy this poor soul and pay to have it shipped home. My guess this could bring $2,500-$3,000 to the right buyer.
              1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
              See rescue progress here on this blog:
              http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks guys great wealth of ideas and knowledge on here. Maybe I need to offer the option in ebay for me to keep bed I can get that off in one day I hope

Comment

If that's a Commander 6 I'm seeing, then its cab has the fairly rare deeper firewall.

Comment

will the vin number tell us if it is a commander 6? M16-C2 44688

Comment

The M-16 came with the 226 ci Commander 6. The engine number (top left corner of the block, at the front) would begin with 3M. The firewall will be indented in the center to accommodate the longer engine, compared to the smaller Champion 6, This makes the cab somewhat more valuable to rodders and/or those wanting to put a Commander 6 in an M5 pickup, M-series trucks that originally came with the Champion 6 had a more flattened firewall.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Since you inquired about value be advised that your ebay photos reveal severe rust in the drivers side "A-pillar" (with apparent ad-hoc repair) which has extended into the cowl & hood. The rust has caused major structural damage which has allowed the cowl to crack under door pressures and the hood hinge mounts to nearly protrude through the hood. An educated guess is the truck is not an Arizona or west coast native but instead one of rust belt origin. IMO you have a parts truck at best.

Comment

Thanks for your honest appraisal. It was an estate auction here in CA and I knew it was a gamble the 775.00 I have it listed for on ebay is what I have into it so even if it sells at 775.00 I lose all the ebay and paypal fees and learn a good lesson. Feels like gambling I might win and might lose at least I have a chance

Comment

Originally posted by pegleggreg View Post
                            Thanks for your honest appraisal. It was an estate auction here in CA and I knew it was a gamble the 775.00 I have it listed for on ebay is what I have into it so even if it sells at 775.00 I lose all the ebay and paypal fees and learn a good lesson. Feels like gambling I might win and might lose at least I have a chance
                            You have the right attitude since most vehicle flips are a gamble. Like someone mentioned here you can always part it out but it takes a lot of time removing parts, advertising, shipping etc. If you decide to part it out I could use some parts and I know someone with an M16 who is looking for parts. I've attached a link to the Studebaker Truck Talk Forum known as TAPATALK. Whatever you decide you need to list here since the site is dedicated to trucks only............ Best of luck

Comment

I am a fan of the big trucks. I just used my 49 2R16A to haul four tons of gravel a couple weeks ago. But that truck is pretty rough. I am seeing a $500 truck there.
                              Rust is the enemy. I know some guys think I over paid for some of my cars, but I don't buy cars with serious rust issues; if there is rust you can see, there is usually even more hidden.

I would not call that a stake bed. Looks like a full fledged dump bed. My 49 has the original stake bed. Those vertical boards, go into holes in the bed. In about 5 minutes, I can pull them all out and convert to a flat bed.

Not trying to be harsh, but you asked for opinions. Not sure why the first pic posted twice. I am old. Technology doesn't work right for me half the time.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	web.leftside.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	1832184Click image for larger version  Name:	web.leftside.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	1832186Click image for larger version  Name:	leftfrt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	1832185

Comment

Working...
                              X