X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post

It may be something as simple as what mold they were manufactured in.
    Correct. That's a common practice.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
    The steering wheels are identical in size and even the same paint colors and pattern. I am still wondering what the number on the back signifies. One has a number 3 and one has a number 4.
    It may be something as simple as what mold they were manufactured in.

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied
    The steering wheels are identical in size and even the same paint colors and pattern. I am still wondering what the number on the back signifies. One has a number 3 and one has a number 4.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Markham
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    The '57 to '60's are the same Style, but Sedans/Wagons/Larks have different Diameters than C or K Model Hawks.
    THAT is what you are seeing.
    I believe the Small one is for Hawks, due to the lower Column angle for Leg clearance.

It looks like you have the Studebaker Part Number right there on the Horn grounding Plate of one wheel, just look it up in the '55 to '58 Chassis Parts Catalog or the '59-'64.
    Rich,

I must respectfully disagree with what you've said. What you said is correct for 56 and prior, power steering vs non-power steering vs C/K vs non-C/K. The 57-60 Type C steering wheels are all the same, with no differences in size. They all measure 17 inches in diameter and the only differences Studebaker used between which wheel went on which car was a part number to determine color. The same can be said of the 61 and later wheel, the "Oval" type, all measure 17 inches x 16 inches and the only difference is in the color.

What I see in the same picture is a slightly different angle of the wheel on the right, which gives it the illusion of appearing smaller.

The only other differences 57-59 is the internal horn components used for (Standard steering, Bendix power steering) vs (Saginaw power steering ) in the column.

Bo
    Last edited by Bo Markham; 04-21-2020, 06:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The '57 to '60's are the same Style, but Sedans/Wagons/Larks have different Diameters than C or K Model Hawks.
    THAT is what you are seeing.
    I believe the Small one is for Hawks, due to the lower Column angle for Leg clearance.

It looks like you have the Studebaker Part Number right there on the Horn grounding Plate of one wheel, just look it up in the '55 to '58 Chassis Parts Catalog or the '59-'64.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-20-2020, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    replied
    Are you 100% sure Rich? The wheels are identical but I suspect one may be set up for a 1957 car and the other a Lark. Just trying to confirm. I doubt very seriously that Studebaker had a different number that went from high to low for each stereing wheel they made. Pictures attached.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    No, you have to look at the design/shape:
    '53 to '56; Three Spoke with notches for Horn Ring (Deluxe) or without notches for Horn Ring (Standard), '57 to '60; Wide Two Spoke round wheel, recessed, '61-'66; Narrow Two Spoke Oval Wheel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	57PresClassicTeal5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	1831119< '57 to '60 is the WIDE 2 Spoke, recessed.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-20-2020, 12:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeMichael
    started a topic Steering Wheel Number

Steering Wheel Number

I have a few steering wheels from what appear to be from 1957. One has the number 3 on the back, the other a number 4. Can Studebaker steering wheels be identified by this single number?
Working...
X