New customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New customer

Is anyone familiar with Kelly Stadum from Gaffney South Carolina?
    They are ordering a substantial number of parts for a Studebaker Hawk and I can not find any info on this person.
    Please let me known if you have done business with this person before.
    Thanks

It seems to me that the way to handle a new, unknown customer is to get substantial or full payment up front before shipping.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You COULD ask for his SDC membership Number.

Most Serious Stude. Fanatics/Collectors who are not scammers, would be a Members.

In the 2018 Roster printing there are no Stadum's.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        Is anyone familiar with Kelly Stadum from Gaffney South Carolina?
        They are ordering a substantial number of parts for a Studebaker Hawk and I can not find any info on this person.
        Please let me known if you have done business with this person before.
        Thanks
        Gaffney is about 40 miles from me. Send me an address & I'll see if I can find you any useful information. I have family & friends in the area.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I do not have an address only the town.
          What makes me suspicious that he wants to pay with a cashiers check and he will include shipping charges and I have to pay the guy that will pick it up, cash for his services.
          More than likely the check will bounce and I am out cash and parts.

Comment

Gaffney is in Cherokee county. I lived in the county in my teens. Lots of relatives, but I escaped years ago. The high school stadium is called "The Reservation" and the team is the Gaffney Indians (How's that for political correctness). The local college is Limestone College, and their teams are the "Saints." I think their stadium is Saint's field. There may be someone named Kelly on the coaching staff, but I would only give them a vague response as long as they are being so vague with you.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Seems you already know the right approach to this. If he's sending some one to pick up the parts, then he can have that guy deal with a check & he can bring you cash. Otherwise ignore this as a scam.

Comment

Whenever YOU get a Check, and THEY get CASH, that's a BIG Red Flag... Scammer and Crook!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What makes me suspicious that he wants to pay with a cashiers check and he will include shipping charges and I have to pay the guy that will pick it up, cash for his services.
                  I would forget/cancel the entire "deal".
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have heard of those scams before. The check will not clear and the thief is gone with your parts/car and cash.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Another option...you could demand a physical address and tell them you have a local agent living in the area who will come inspect the project car to make sure it qualifies as having good enough restoration potential to receive your valuable parts.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Tell the "customer" to send the cashier's check to the guy who is picking up the parts. Once he has the cash, he can pay you for the parts, since you only accept cash. It's kinda like put up or shut up. I'm betting the "customer" won't call again, but if he's legit, and you get cash, document and video the parts and the exchange.

Comment

I did a search at intellius.com and ussearch.com - there are only four people in the United States by that name, and none have lived in South Carolina. It's possible there's an adult by this name living in South Carolina who has never had one of the following, but I doubt it: credit card, loan, property record, car registration, drivers license, or arrest. I'd say it's a scam.
                          Mark L

Comment

RUN, Forest, RUN. This is the classic scam and some people still fall for it. Good thing that Studebaker folks are mostly old enough to know a deal from a scam. Had a guy wanting to play this scam on the sale of a car. Once I told him the car would be at my work location to be picked up, AZ Department of Public Service, (Highway Patrol), I never heard from them again.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The ONLY to deal with that type of inquiry is CASH up front!

Comment

Working...
                              X