• Show
Clear All

• StudeCat
    replied
    That looks and sounds great!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    I did not realize that this was a drag only car. Thanks for the more complete explanation.
    It was 25 degrees F here yesterday and we had some snow flurries today. Further up in the county they had accumulating snow.

Not only gasoline prices have gone down, but also fuel oil. I got a delivery Thursday at $2.499 per gallon ($2.999 last month).

Leave a comment:

• shifter4
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    It looks like you are making good progress. Without the front sheet metal installed, I do not see how you can get much of a test of the cooling.
    Well sir , here is how I checked it out . ( In my previous set up , I had a fairly small radiator. This is a drag car only , but the cooling was marginal . )
    In this current update , along with a front frame replacement , steering , suspension re-do etc , I also added a much larger radiator and higher cfm fan . Since this car is a racer only , I use an electric motor driven water pump , and a manually controlled fan set up.
    So , on this test yesterday , I ran the engine up to temp. with the fan not running , and then did some passes up and down the drive, and so on to get the system heat saturated , and ran for about 12-15 minutes . When the Temperature reached about 190 , I turned the fan on , and watched the temp. quickly drop down to about 155 or so . The ability to do that is satisfying . Here in Daytona yesterday it was about 83 degrees , so it was a reasonable test , and compared to the same ritual with the previous set up , it was a good improvement . This is a triple pass , crossflow radiator . Fan is 3300 cfm .
    I also was checking out the surge / overflow set up .

Thanks for the question .

So now , as the song says , " I'm all dressed up and nowhere to go " .

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    It looks like you are making good progress. Without the front sheet metal installed, I do not see how you can get much of a test of the cooling.

Leave a comment:

• shifter4
    started a topic Video of Skeeter Hawk driveway test today

Video of Skeeter Hawk driveway test today

A final run today before putting the nose back on the car . I ran it up and down my fairly long driveway a few times , and did one somewhat hard launch too . I wanted to let it reach a good heat , so that I could test the cooling ability . Looks good on that .
    Big diff. in the way it steers , of course . Fun day . You may have to click twice or whatever to get the video to play ....

Skeeter Hawk April 17 2020 driveway run by Bill H, on Flickr

If it doesn't play , go here to my Photo Stream , and it is the first item .

Working...
X