X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Metman View Post
    Also around the same time, I could not find the key to my Cushman scooter (that I still have). I looked at the key to my parent's garage and it looked similar. Turns out it worked in the scooter!
    The trunk key to my '61 Cruiser actually worked in one of the mechanic's Snap-On tool boxes in the shop at the service station I worked at back in the early 1980's.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Years ago we were on our way to a CAP thing and stopped for gas. Norm Thompson always drove a Buick. Someone at the station somehow locked himself out of his Pontiac. Norm said "Maybe I can help" and slipped his key into the Pontiac's keyhole and easily opened the door. At the time GM apparantly used only 4 different keys for its cars!

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Back in the late 60s, I had a '63 Impala. Upon return from a military training maneuver, I discovered that I had lost my car keys. 'Called the local police department, and an officer showed up with a large ring full of GM car keys. We tried every key on that ring, (probably at least 50) and, alas, none worked.

The officer got in his car, and drove off, but turned around in mid block, and returned to my car. He took the keys out of his '63 Chevy patrol car, unlocked my door, and unlocked the ignition, which could then be operated w/o a key.

Made it home, got my spare keys, and had another set made.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    My late dad once told me a story of when he was single and used to go to dances. This would have been late 50s or very early 60s. He had a '54 Mercury. Once, he came out of the ballroom to go home (this was in a Minnesota winter, so freezing and snow). Some strange guy is sitting in his (dad's) car with the engine running and the heater on, warming himself up!! I am unclear if this fellow was drunk and thought it was his car or had rode to the dance with others but had his keys on him and was waiting for them, or what the story was. Heard this probably 30-40yrs ago and Dad's not around to get the details now.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    I don't suspect you have one of these, do you, Richard? Click image for larger version

Name:	53003-1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	1828883
    Well yes I do have a few Rockne (and Erskine) keys but they are cut.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    The trunk keys for both of our GTs are interchangeable, can also use the ignition key in either of them, but takes a bit more jiggling.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    That's funny about the Rambler. I drove a 65 Chevelle in high school. My friend had a 57 Chevy pickup. One day while at the hardware store, I heard my car start and drive away. In a panic, I ran out the door to see it roaring down the street. My friend's pickup was parked next to my empty parking space. I suspected foul play on his part. I tried my key in his truck and it started. We were off to the races. We chased each other around town for about half an hour.
    In a completely different situation, while driving my 54 Coupe, I got off work at the mall rather late to find a young woman locked out of her Volvo. It was a 70s or so. I was about to get a coat hanger, but decided to try my Stude key to find it opened her car door. Stude key to the rescue.

Leave a comment:

• dleroux
    replied
    Back in 1970 while in high school I had a '65 Rambler Classic 550 and worked at the newspaper in the mailing / production room. Another kid who worked there who was two years older had a '65 Chevy Impala two door that was the pride of his life. He always parked it away from the rest of our cars but he would pull it into the space nose first. Just out of curiosity I tried my key in his door and it unlocked. I then tried the ignition and it worked. Just to mess with him I'd back out his Chevy and then back it into the same parking space. Kept my mouth shut and I can't tell you the number of times he would come in saying, "I thought for sure I pulled my car into the parking space but when I go to leave I guess I backed in & didn't realize it."
    I never did tell him what was going on.
    Last edited by dleroux; 04-07-2020, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Metman
    replied
    This reminds me of two stories as well...
    - In the mid-70's , one of my brothers had an AMC Hornet. His girlfriend a the time had purchased an AMC Gremlin. Turned out their keys worked in each other's cars! We all figured it was a sign that their relationship was "meant to be". Unfortunately, they broke up a few years later..
    - Also around the same time, I could not find the key to my Cushman scooter (that I still have). I looked at the key to my parent's garage and it looked similar. Turns out it worked in the scooter! Felt pretty lucky with that, and did eventually find the actual key.

Leave a comment:

• fargoguy
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Dual door locks were an option right until the end of production, at least on the 1-ton & larger trucks. My '63 doesn't have a driver's door lock.

At the zone meet in 2005, a member accidently locked his keys inside his 1976 Avanti II. We all did the same thing; stood in line with our Studebaker key to find one which would unlock the door. The second person in line unlocked it with his key.

Craig

That was me! I thought if my key worked I won the AVANTI!! I guess I was wrong...

Leave a comment:

• Blue 15G
    replied
    Thank you all for your comments to my original post. Very interesting. I suppose that trunk and glove box security wasn't as big a concern compared to door and ignition security back in the day. The key blank I found looks like # 5 in Richard Quinn's chart.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Two stories:

1. At the 1981(?) intl meet in Gettysburg, the aluminum key broke off in the trunk lock of my 64 Daytona, capturing my suitcase, the ice chest with the day's beer supply, and other essentials in the trunk. We got the stub out, but we could not get the lock to turn all the way. Dan Webber, who had bought out a number of DC-area Stude dealers, walked around the field and borrowed keys from about a dozen owners. The third or fourth one we tried opened the trunk.

2. Until around 1958, Stude trucks only came with a lock on the passenger side door.
    Dual door locks were an option right until the end of production, at least on the 1-ton & larger trucks. My '63 doesn't have a driver's door lock.

At the zone meet in 2005, a member accidently locked his keys inside his 1976 Avanti II. We all did the same thing; stood in line with our Studebaker key to find one which would unlock the door. The second person in line unlocked it with his key.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Two stories:

1. At the 1981(?) intl meet in Gettysburg, the aluminum key broke off in the trunk lock of my 64 Daytona, capturing my suitcase, the ice chest with the day's beer supply, and other essentials in the trunk. We got the stub out, but we could not get the lock to turn all the way. Dan Webber, who had bought out a number of DC-area Stude dealers, walked around the field and borrowed keys from about a dozen owners. The third or fourth one we tried opened the trunk.

2. Until around 1958, Stude trucks only came with a lock on the passenger side door. When I restored my 54 model 3R6, I drilled a hole in the driver's door to add a lock to that side -- but I needed a lock. Vern Ediger had one and I bought it. I assumed that I would have to modify it to match my existing key, which also fit the ignition switch. But Vern's lock fit my key perfectly. He has been known as a miracle worker for Studes, but didn't know he had the ability to read my key from 1000 miles away.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Funny thing about trunk keys. I’ve got a key that opens the side windows of my old camper shell. I’ve had it since 2003. It also opens about 80% of all Stude trunks I’ve tried it on. As an added bonus it also opens most of the sliding glass cabinets at my local hardware stores. The bad news... I tried opening the glove box lock on my 37. It only made half a turn. It’s currently stuck in that lock and soaking with WD40. I can’t lose that key. I’ll sacrifice the lock before I give up the key.

Leave a comment:

• jrlemke
    replied
    30 or so years ago, when I was driving "Demo Derby", I found an ign key for a '57 Chev. that fit about 15 or 20 G/M cars from the late '40's 'til they went to the double edge keys. So much for security! -Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X