No announcement yet.

New 1961 champ, lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the drivers side engine mount. The half of the mount that is attached to the frame has been cut off and welded back at an odd angle for some reason. If anyone out there has a set of left hand engine mount brackets, I could really use them

Comment

Update, the Champ is running again! I had it running for a few minutes off of a 20 oz bottle of gas. The engine sounds good, it has a blown exhaust manifold gasket on the drivers side at the firewall and needs new freeze plugs.

After getting it running I pulled the drain plug on the gas tank, but instead of old fuel, 18 gallons of water came out of the tank. The fun never ends

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in CA View Post
        After getting it running I pulled the drain plug on the gas tank, but instead of old fuel, 18 gallons of water came out of the tank. The fun never ends
        It it was full, then there might be a chance the inside of the tank might be in good shape - no air might mean no chance for rust to start forming - maybe. And if it had any places where it was rusted out, the water would have run out...

If the tank is no longer usable, there is a Studebaker vendor that has reproduced the tanks - many of the larger vendors will stock them. Good luck.

Comment

Actually the tank has no holes in it. I dropped the tank, pulled the sending unit and the sending unit had completely rusted away on the underside. I found the cork floats rolling around in the bottom of the tank. I sprayed the rusty sludge in the tank with a garden hose and the steel underneath was clean on the bottom. I can see the fuel pick up tube looks like swiss cheese though. I'm going to take it to a local shop and see if they can repair it. Good to know about the reproduction fuel tank, it's a back up plan now

Comment

Just a quick update, I pressure washed the inside of the fuel tank before taking it to be re lined. The upper half of the tank is full of holes. The radiator shop said they can't fix it. A SDC member up by Redding has a fuel tank so looks like that's fixed hopefully.

Comment

Looks like you are well on your way to rescuing this truck. It could be that the lack of success by the person who hacked and cobbled on the truck was unsuccessful in making it functional enough to completely wear it out and destroy it. Hopefully, it was destiny for you to have the opportunity to make it whole.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I just recieved this gem in the mail. Interesting, seems like it was originally a step side. Also the add on oil filter is off of the trucks original engine. I'm stumped as to why a former owner swapped it over to a full flow 259 but blocked that off and kept the partial flow filter... Honestly the wiring in this truck is a mess. I'm thinking it would be easier to remove the top of the dash to work on the wiring harness. I did find an SDC member with a good used gas tank, it's been pressure tested and looks good, just trying to find the time to go get it. The radiator shop was able to fix the radiator but they tell me the core is weak and should be replaced before the champ makes a long trip

Comment

Working...
                X