Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, they really did that. (now with photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, they really did that. (now with photos)

An older gentleman in Montana contacted me about helping a lady sell her husband's "Lark" (he thought) and 1955 pickup a week ago, in that hubby has gone to a nursing home and will be unable to pursue the hobby any longer. Gentleman knew so little about the vehicles I asked him to please send some photos so I'd get a better idea of what they were.

So the photos arrive in today's mail and I am again awed at what silly combinations of color and upholstery Studebaker made available.

[[u]12/14/2008 EDIT</u>: Leonard Shepherd posted the photos 12/13/08 and they now downstream in this thread. Thanks, Leonard!]

The "Lark" turned out to be a 1963 Lark Custom 4-door, V-8/Flightomatic/Disc Brakes (but no power steering) in Blue Mist with Chestnut(mauve)! interior. It looked so original I had to pull out my 1963 Showroom Order Guide to check and sure enough, Blue Mist with Chestnut was available. Ouch.

The truck looks like a nice short-bed with V-8 and overdrive, in red, with supposedly 41,749 actual miles. They're stored inside in Montana and look operable, although neither has been moved for what he thinks are 2-3 years. As soon as they've come to some agreement on price, I'll ask if he wants me to make the information available here should/when they are for sale. (For all I know, someone here may be aware of the vehicles anyway.)

('Kinda far for me to go get either one right now, and I have no idea what I'd do with a Blue Mist Lark 4-door having Chestnut interior!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I'm headed through Montana on my way to Spokane to get a truck this weekend. Can you send me the photos of the truck and any other info. so I can consider a side trip? Thanks,

Matt

53 C-Cab frame off in progress!

Comment

Bob. I may interested in the Lark. Want to add one to my odd ball collection of muscle and non muscle Studebakers.
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

It looked so original I had to pull out my 1963 Showroom Order Guide to check and sure enough, Blue Mist with Chestnut was available. Ouch.

('Kinda far for me to go get either one right now, and I have no idea what I'd do with a Blue Mist Lark 4-door having Chestnut interior!) BP
        Doesn't Nels have a Laguna Blue '64 with a tan/brown interior?

Craig

Comment

Light blue with a chestnut interior sounds beautiful.
          Certainly beats lemon and lime anyday.

Comment

On the other hand, no matter what colors, a Speedster is still a Speedster and a four-door Lark still isn't.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

OK, everyone. I will be talking to the gentleman "advisor" Wednesday morning the 10th. If it is OK with him, I will post contact information here. I'm sure all (well, OK; most) would agree it would not be appropriate to do that without having specific permission.

I'm not trying to hold out or buy anything for resale; 'just trying to practice common courtesy for old folks. (And if Santa brings me a scanner and shows me how to use it, I'll be able to scan and post photos.)

( Art: If you think Blue Mist with Chestnut interior[:0] sounds beautiful, you might want to look into an eye scan or color-blindness test of some sort. ) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E
                Doesn't Nels have a Laguna Blue '64 with a tan/brown interior?
                Craig
                Craig: Yes, one was built and Nels may have owned it at one time. 'Last I heard, it was undergoing a scoop-to-nuts restoration, but not by Nelson Bove. I don't believe he's owned it for some time, if he ever did.

(Nels?)

BTW, the car in question is 64V14327. It's a Full-Package 1964 Daytona hardtop with R2/Powershift, power steering, padded sun visors, 3.73:1 axle and AM/FM radio. Pretty neat car, and it is Laguna Blue with Brown Vinyl interior. And AFAIK, it is being restored in that configuration.

Is the current owner on the forum? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

An older gentleman in Montana contacted me about helping a lady sell her husband's "Lark" (he thought) and 1955 pickup a week ago, in that hubby has gone to a nursing home and will be unable to pursue the hobby any longer. Gentleman knew so little about the vehicles I asked him to please send some photos so I'd get a better idea of what they were.

So the photos arrive in today's mail and I am again awed at what silly combinations of color and upholstery Studebaker made available.

The "Lark" turned out to be a 1963 Lark Custom 4-door, V-8/Flightomatic/Disc Brakes (but no power steering) in Blue Mist with Chestnut(mauve)! interior. It looked so original I had to pull out my 1963 Showroom Order Guide to check and sure enough, Blue Mist with Chestnut was available. Ouch.

The truck looks like a nice short-bed with V-8 and overdrive, in red, with supposedly 41,749 actual miles. They're stored inside in Montana and look operable, although neither has been moved for what he thinks are 2-3 years. As soon as they've come to some agreement on price, I'll ask if he wants me to make the information available here should/when they are for sale. (For all I know, someone here may be aware of the vehicles anyway.)

[)]I learned to drive on my grandpa's '55 V8 pickup. I'd be highly interested in that pickup if it comes up for sale.[)]

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                  http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt
                  steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                  http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

I'll be helping my daughter move in the next few weeks to Spokane. That means I'll be headed back to IL with an empty trailer.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I guess I need to look and see what Chestnut looks like. I'm thinking this wouldn't be such a bizarre combo.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1963 Cruiser
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OK; here's the deal on the 1963 Lark and the 1955 Truck described above. We won't know anything about their firm availability or pricing for at least a week or ten days.

I talked at length with the contact gentleman this morning, who lives about 40 miles from the lady who owns them. He confirmed they had not been operated for at least two years, but were running and driving well when parked, They are in good, secure storage.

He will discuss pricing with her and call me back, but that will not be for a week or ten days as he has to go see her and she has to go see hubby in the nursing home and [hopefully] convince him it is time to sell for a reasonable price. Family issues, too; we all know how this can be.[xx(]

With all this lead time, I will today (December 10th) snail-mail the original photos to Leonard Shepherd, our "poster boy" (clever turn of phrase if I do say so myself), and ask that he post them to this thread for all to see. (OK, Leonard?)

Then, when I have further information as to pricing and contacts, I'll add to this thread. But it won't be for awhile. At least everyone will be able to see the photos well in advance, and you have been prepared to sear your eyes with the combination of Blue Mist against a Chestnut interior![:0] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob, what part of Montana? I am not interested in buying the cars but if they are near me I may be able to check them out for you. I am in the NW corner of the state.

Wayen K.
                          Libby, MT
                          61 Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by farmhawk

Bob, what part of Montana? I am not interested in buying the cars but if they are near me I may be able to check them out for you. I am in the NW corner of the state.

Wayne K.
                            Hi, Wayne. I don't know where the Lark and truck are located. The contact gentleman through whom I am working lives in Billings. He said the car and truck are about 40 miles from him, so the closest I can come to their location is within a 40-mile radius of Billings!

He gave me the owner's name, but no one by that name is listed in either the 2008 or 2005 (I just went back a couple years for good measure) SDC National Directories.

Stay tuned. Leonard may have the pictures up sometime this weekend; I mailed them to him yesterday. But, as I said above, it will be at least a week from that before I can post further contact or price information, if they prove to be available at all. (For all we know, the elderly owner won't let his wife sell them or a family member has stepped up or something...)

Thanks for your offer to check them out. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Billings is only about 550 miles from me, maybe someone from the yellowstone chapter could look into them for you.

Wayen K.
                              Libby, MT
                              61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X