After you sold it, where did it go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After you sold it, where did it go?

My formerly-owned Studes, sold for what l thought were good reasons at the time, have scattered. Some have good homes, others have disappeared "into the wood work".

1 )My first, a '57 Commander 4 door, Glendale Green and Arctic White, and bought for $50.00, was sold to a couple of guys that were having fun looking for cheap collectibles. After the removal of the real good drive train it ended up in the bone yard! It was quite rusty. When you closed the door you could hear the iron oxide flakes hitting the pavement!

2)The reliable '56 Power Hawk (from California), l fixed up for years (11) as the budget would allow, was sold to a chapter member who replaced more chrome and rebuilt the engine. When he had reason to sell it 13 years later, my son bought it - and he still has it 18 years later!

3)The '54 Champion deluxe four door (Savannah Beige), the most rust-free Stude l ever had (from Norton Kansas), was sold to an older gent, but he put it up for sale in 4 years and it made it's way to Europe where it was sold to someone in the Netherlands (it's picture can be seen on Wikipedia in the Studebaker write-ups!).

4)The '55 Champion deluxe four door(black) that l brought back from "the brink" was sold to a chapter member, but ended up at a classic car dealer in Buffalo. l caught a glimpse of it at last fall's Dunkirk swap meet, but was not able to talk to the new owner.

5)The '64 Commander 4 door (Golden Sand) was sold to a chapter member who had wrecked his same-colour Daytona. He eventually met and married an American girl and moved to Connecticut somewhere. He may still have it, l understand!

6)The '57 Champion deluxe 2 door (turquoise and white) went to a young man in the chapter about 1986. After taking it with him out to Winnipeg for a few years, then moving back to Ontario, he still has it today!

7)The '47 M5 (Forest Green) went to a fine new home in Nova Scotia, where she (her name is Jeannie) continues to receive lots of affection and attention.

Where did your former Studebakers end up?
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

The wrecked '52 Commander I started with was eventually scrapped and sold mostly complete to someone unknown.

The '49 Champion I had for several years was improved, repaired, and partially restored, before being sold to another chapter member who drove it to work as a country doctor. When she retired and moved to Colorado, it was sold to someone else in the next town, who supposedly still has it, but doesn't drive it.

The '66 Wagonaire I had was improved and repaired, and after being frequently driven for years was sold to an SDC member in another state. He did some body work and mechanical work and won a first place at the next International Meet he attended.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I have only owned 2 Studebakers:

1) 1947 Champion sedan, Shenandoah light green, which I bought in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia on July.3.1973, and still enjoy driving.

2) Canadian-built 1949 2R5 pickup, which you and I believe is almost in your back yard. I bought it in Halifax, Nova Scotia in Sept.1977 and sold it in June 1991 to a man in Chatham, Ontario. It was sold new in Lethbridge, Alberta to Lorne Ronney of Nobleford AB. It was a working farm truck in Alberta for 25 years, with about 6 owners. Then an ex-Albertan living in Halifax had it shipped to him in a boxcar, and used it for a year-round daily driver for 3 years. When Nova Scotia's freeze-thaw winter climate and road salt hit the talcum-powder fine dust and straw in the sills and elsewhere, it wasn't pretty. The truck obviously had carried a cattle box for a while, and the right front corner had cut off a sturdy fence post. In 1986, a talented friend who owned a body shop did a superb restoration, and its colour turned from worn-out maroon back to its original bright red. Would love to have it back --- just waiting for the lottery to come through. "Before" and "after" pictures are on my Flickr.com account, JarvisEye.

Bill Jarvis
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

I have owned more than 50 Studebakers. I know the whereabouts of a few, but I really do not care much once I sell them.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The one Stude I "owned" (a VERY rusty 57 Hawk missing the interior and engine) I found sitting in a storage lot. The lot owner was selling it to clear out the property, so it had no paperwork. I submitted all the papers to get a Surety Bond Title, and some previous owner came out of the woodwork, claiming it had been stolen. So I lost all my money, and couldn't have the car, either. It sat in the same spot I found it in, until the lot owner had the scrapyard people take all the "leftovers" away.
          Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Wow - 50! You're blessed to have had all that Studebaker experience, Gary! l'd bet you wouldn't want to see an old Stude of yours being abused by neglect or misuse!
            Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
            61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
            Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
            Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
              Wow - 50! You're blessed to have had all that Studebaker experience, Gary! l'd bet you wouldn't want to see an old Stude of yours being abused by neglect or misuse!
              50+ is just those that I have personally owned from a short period to more than nine years. Of course, there were multiples at many times. I have worked on many others.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I got my first Stude in 1981. It was a 62 Lark, and we drove it for years. It is stored away in a pole barn, and we now have 4 more Larks ( some of them parts cars) an M series 15A, 58 3E13, 60 Hawk, and a US6. Haven't sold any yet, so I know where all of them are.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Since 1958 I have owned over 300 Studebaker's lots were parts cars so since 1990 when I got into the parts business they are scattered all over the USA and in fact all over the world. 18 full cars went to New Zealand and my guess about 100 to Australia . But my very first a 1948 Land Cruiser went to junk yard in Minnesota in the winter of 58, I was 17 and knew nothing about cars so when the started took a dump the car got scrapped. RIP old Cruiser some good times were had with you.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

My 64' R2 R-5011 was sold in 1972 and lives in Aurora, CO, My 57 GH (OD) was sold in 1975 and lives in/near Columbus, OH
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Most memorable to me, is the 56J I had in high school in the late 60s. If memory serves, I traded it off for a 47 Indian Chief motorcycle. I went into the Marine Corp immediately after high school, and lost track of the car. But I heard later someone from Tennessee came to my home town trying to track the car down. Back then that was not uncommon, ask around, follow up on rumors, etc.. I thought it was interesting that someone would come to Kentucky from Tennessee, chasing a rumor. Of course today we all have global visibility as to what is where, so no need to chase down rumors. Never saw that 56J again after I went into the MC, but have often wondered about it.

Comment

My 1st Studebaker, an old 2 door "bullet nose" went to an Esso Station owner in Athens, AL., my 53 Commander coupe went to a good friend East TN., the 56 Sky Hawk went to an old gent that was a co-worker in Spring City, TN, the 63 Avanti went "up north" with a real neat older couple that had been Studebaker dealers in either WI or MN...can't remember which, the 48 street rod truck to a fellow Stude lover in Killen, AL., one of the 50 or 51 trucks to a used car lot in Rogersville, AL. ( and then to Ohio ), the 54 Champion 4 door Drivers Training dual control car to Bowling Green, KY., another 50/ 51 truck, to the scrap yard in Rogersville, AL., and all the others.... 62 Lark, 60 ? Champ truck, 57 President 4 door....no idea....?????????????? What do I miss ? The Avanti, Karen and I both loved that car ! I fortunately have pics of them all if I ever want to "tear up" and have a nostalgic cry, ha !

Comment

I had a 1930 Dictator GL two door sedan which was inside storage for years . I had to sell it in order to purchase our 64 Daytona convertible , Anyway I sold it to someone who said he would restore it and cherish it forever , 3 weeks later I was told it was on a used car lot , I then got a call from someone who purchased it and he was going to restore it and cherish it forever and if he had any questions about it could he call me , I said no problem and he even came to my house a couple of times , Anyway his wife had different ideas and he sold it to someone who collects many cars and does little with them . The person who told me where it is now has passed away quite awhile ago and I lost the info of its whereabouts as I might be tempted to reaquire it as it was a really solid car and ran well , Ed

Comment

The last 2 trucks I had, the E45 went to Newport News, Va. The 3R11 went next door.

Comment

Yes, Roger, it was May of 1986 that I bought your 57 Champion, the year I graduated university. In fact, it was my only car from then until November, and drove it everywhere that summer. Now that I'm less than 10 years from retirement, I plan to drive it to my last day of work, just as I drove it to my first day, at the same company (with a 10 year hiatus in Winnipeg).
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X