Cancellation of the Michiana Chapter May Swap Meet and Car Show for 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancellation of the Michiana Chapter May Swap Meet and Car Show for 2020

After much thought, and weighing all the options, the officers of the Michiana Chapter have decided to cancel the 2020 Michiana May Meet. This decision is being made due to the ongoing COVID-19 problem.

This decision was not made lightly. Considerations made included the current CDC limitations on groups of people at public events, the average age of our attendees and vendors, as well as the health of the Members of the Michiana Chapter, who give so much time to this event, and are responsible for its success.

We want to give notice to all attendees, vendors, and members of the cancellation of our event. Vendors will receive a letter from the Chapter with the option to either get a refund, or have their prepayment applied to the 2021 Meet here in South Bend.

We would appreciate the members of this Forum to please pass this information on to your Chapters, and to other Studebaker people that were planning on attending this year.

The Michiana May Meet will be back in 2021, better than before. Please be safe in upcoming weeks, and let’s hope that the only thing that will be contagious in the not so distant future will be driving a Studebaker.

The Officers of the Michiana Chapter
    Studebaker Drivers Club

Thanks to you and your chapter for their efforts put into planning etc for this event.

I have parts packed and ready for the meet, I will push them aside for next year

Milt
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thank you for all you and the many vendors that attend our meet do, Milt. We will look forward to seeing you next year. Please bring sunshine, and lots of parts. All vendors will receive a notice in the mail in the upcoming week.

Comment

I sure don't like hearing this but I know it is for the best. I have a car to deliver and was using the meet as a chance to cover both thing at once. Maybe the International will still be a go and can deliver it then.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Studebaker Nation is being canceled right and left. Tulsa Zone Meet gone, Keystone meet gone, etc., etc. Midway Chapter has canceled all chapter meetings for the next 6 weeks. I am glad to hear that the International Meet is still "All systems go!".
          Last edited by Chris Pile; 03-23-2020, 11:43 AM.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yes, Bob; probably for the best. Thanks for the early notification so we don't lose deposits on motel rooms, too. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I used to make the 1500 mile RT drive for that event. I have been receiving cancellation notices for all sorts of events for April and May. Hopefully, things get back to normal sooner rather than later.
              Last edited by studegary; 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM. Reason: missing s
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry to hear that the meet is canceled, but it is the right decision at this time. We will wait till next year. Many thanks to Bob and his crew for their efforts every year to put this meet on for us. On the International Meet in August, we are still moving forward with all plans to put on an excellent meet. Hope the Covid-19 has settled down by that time, but we are watching it closely and will make any notices in a timely manner. Bill

Comment

Probably a wise decision. I suspect you would have had a small turn out.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nut's.....I understand. My wife and me use the event to kick off the spring travel season (some how there is always a gambling campus or two in route! ). Sherm / Green Bay / 63R1089

Comment

*Sigh* While this was expected, and probably for the best, this makes me really sad. I've been making this drive every year for over 25 years (except for that one time I was REALLY sick). There is a whole group of people I only get to see once a year. I just hope everyone stays safe and well.

Comment

Sorry to hear that; I sure enjoyed seeing everyone each year.

Hope everyone stays safe and well.

George
                        george krem

Comment

I had been looking forward to this too, but not a surprise to hear.
                          I'm afraid car show season will start a little later than usual.

Comment

Good morning all, this is Susan Lusted from What's Happening. I have had quite a few calls about the date for next year. People are cancelling reservations and wish to know what dates to rebook for. It would seem that in 2021, May 1 is the first Saturday of the month. I know that is far off, but I guess some need to know. Be safe out there and keep your distance.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                            studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
                              Good morning all, this is Susan Lusted from What's Happening. I have had quite a few calls about the date for next year. People are cancelling reservations and wish to know what dates to rebook for. It would seem that in 2021, May 1 is the first Saturday of the month. I know that is far off, but I guess some need to know. Be safe out there and keep your distance.
                              Every year...I hope to attend, but the way my life goes I have never been able to plan more than a couple of weeks ahead. Along with the York meets...this one has given me some of my best Studebaker memories. My view is that any Studebaker fan should make an attempt to have at least one pilgrimage to South Bend. My impression is that it certainly offers an excellent experience of "downhome" America as any other place in the country.

Save the fun you were planning to have this year so that you can have twice the fun using it at the next meet!
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X