Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a used car at your Studebaker dealer!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buy a used car at your Studebaker dealer!

    Here's an ad from Popular Mechanics in 1936. You can read all the old issues by Googling - it's a hoot!

    http://www.studegarage.com/images/ot...ics%201936.PNG
    Last edited by garyash; 03-20-2020, 07:57 AM.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

    '32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

  • #2
    I looked in the Yellow Pages but didn't find a Studebaker dealer here. Rats!
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

    40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

    * Formerly owned

    Comment


    • #3
      That is interesting. Not in that time frame, but in the 1960s, I purchased several new and used cars (Studebakers and others) from the local Studebaker dealer.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

      SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

      Comment


      • #4
        Though in NJ there are a number of buildings that were Studebaker dealers, none of them currently are open nor do they have any models to display
        Mark

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ddub View Post
          I looked in the Yellow Pages but didn't find a Studebaker dealer here. Rats!
          What's a "Yellow Page?"
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

          SDC member since 1975

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jclary View Post

            What's a "Yellow Page?"
            Telephone books have been long gone. In this area we still receive yellow pages/"yellowbook' (at least until recently). I think that it Is on annual basis that they drop one near my mailbox. The most recent one, that I readily located, I received on July 18, 2017. Perhaps they have even been discontinued since then
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

            SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

            Comment


            • #7
              My Dad has Stacks of popular mechanics, popular science, mechanix illustrated. From about 1950-70 or so. What a wealth of knowledge we here can all enjoy. The cartoons....wordless workshop....not to mention unbiased coverage of Studebaker as a current maker. I’ve still got a lot of those magazines, opening and smelling the pages evokes memories of sitting on the cellar steps, reading the same magazines. Dad at “work” making radio chassis and soldering in connectors, the smell of rosin. Oh Geez.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                My Dad has Stacks of popular mechanics, popular science, mechanix illustrated. From about 1950-70 or so. What a wealth of knowledge we here can all enjoy. The cartoons....wordless workshop....not to mention unbiased coverage of Studebaker as a current maker. I’ve still got a lot of those magazines, opening and smelling the pages evokes memories of sitting on the cellar steps, reading the same magazines. Dad at “work” making radio chassis and soldering in connectors, the smell of rosin. Oh Geez.
                My father had all of the Popular Mechanic and Popular Science from the first issues until about 2K. They were all in order in wooden cases arranged like a bookcase. They were all sold as a lot in his estate auction (about 2008). They did not bring much.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

                SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Studegary you should have kept them. They are great to read when you are just bored and need something to pass the time. The best part is reading about something that's going to come in the future and see what happened and what didn't.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    Studegary you should have kept them. They are great to read when you are just bored and need something to pass the time. The best part is reading about something that's going to come in the future and see what happened and what didn't.
                    I spent about a half a Century looking through them. I have kept a lot of things, too many, but they fell into things that I could part with. I guess that it was about 80 years worth of them. They took up quite a bit of room. I agree that they were interesting to look through.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

                    SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just had my "Yellow Book" in yesterdays mail. Regards Sherm Green Bay 63R1089

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        “. The best part is reading about something that's going to come in the future and see what happened and what didn't.” •••••••••••I’ve got a 1929 PM with plans how to build a “pedestrian scoop”. Along the lines of a cow catcher, as you rode along if you seen an unwary pedestrian crossing into your path, you could quickly lower this scoop rig to sweep then harmlessly up. Yup. That’s one whose time hasn’t came yet...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That’s one whose time hasn’t came yet...
                          Ever see the movie "Soylent Green"?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ah, Popular Science, Gus Wilson's Model Garage! Written under the pen name of Martin Bunn. Now why do I still remember that?

                            Popular Science began in 1872. When I was at UVa, Alderman Library had bound copies back to issue 1. I read all the Model Garage's since the beginning in the 20s. I'm sure that helped with getting an engineering degree.......
                            Frank DuVal

                            50 Commander 4 door

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Shopping for a good Studebaker used car?
                              Try this lot in Mishawaka, Indiana. Studebakers dated.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	used car lot mishawaka.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1827095
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X