Thoughts on Car Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Car Cover

Thoughts, from experience , of car cover that fits good, for indoor use, 53 C body. Brand please. Thanks
    Last edited by Flashback; 09-23-2020, 02:52 PM.

Describe what kind of environment the car and cover will be in - that might make a difference in what might be best.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
      Describe what kind of environment the car and cover will be in - that might make a difference in what might be best.
      In a closed in , unheated , insulated , fairly tight garage, in the middle of Alabama.

Comment

Thanks - is the primary reason to cover to keep dust off the car?

Comment

I have a couple of car covers, but never use them. I always like to see the cars when I pass by them in the garage.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Costco has good ones when they have them. Around $49 - $79 each.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I have a couple of car covers, but never use them. I always like to see the cars when I pass by them in the garage.
              Yep, I agree with Gary...If my pole barn had a concrete floor and wasn't so drafty, I'd enjoy looking at them in a nice clean weather-tight garage. If I used a car cover, the raccoons, possums, and barn cats would only fight even more for such a soft bed, while the rats & mice would be playing under the cover. I have used a cover when parking my ATV under an open section of my barn, but it is awkward to get it oriented correctly (there's a front & back). A few days ago, I made room to park the ATV in an enclosed stall. You have reminded me that I left the cover inside my wood chipper chute. You don't have to be too particular with a cover for a rugged old utility muddy ATV.

I'm thinking that when you have a collector car cover, you should be careful when taking it off and storing it in a clean area (there are storage covers for car covers), because if you allow the cover to become soiled, moving it over the paint while covering & uncovering could scratch your paint. If you have a large garage/shop and have other activities going on besides parking...like bodywork, sanding, painting, etc., then a car cover makes a lot of sense. Then the challenge becomes resisting the temptation to start piling stuff on the car thinking the cover will protect it from scratches & dings. That is an invitation for trouble.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have a California Car Cover which is custom-fit for my Sky Hawk. It's a breathable fabric so that when you remove it there's a residue of dust which is easily removed. Beyond that, you've got way too many commas in your post which tend to interrupt your train of thought.
                peter lee

Comment

Deleting duplicate post.
                  Last edited by Blue 15G; 03-19-2020, 05:18 AM.

Comment

I agree with Gary. I have one car cover, but only because it came with a car that I had purchased years ago. The one I have is thin and generic, and it's only good for keeping dust off the car. I'd rather see the car.

Comment

Thanks - is the primary reason to cover to keep dust off the car?
                      Yes dust, That is my main concern. I am NOT going to leave it on any long time, including in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post

Yes dust, That is my main concern. I am NOT going to leave it on any long time, including in the winter.
                        In many cases, covers are good at keeping certain things off a vehicle, but the big problem with them is what they trap under that becomes the issue. In a humid environment, moisture that would normally dry up in short order has that extended by quite a bit when there is something keeping the air from naturally flowing over it. A simple cotton sheet would do what you are looking for without spending a great deal of money (cheap sheets can be found at just about any Goodwill). Anytime you have major temperature changes, it would be a good time to take the cover off and wash it - remember vehicles in Texas with water dripping on the floor there was so much moisture in the air collecting on the body.

I never have used a cover for one reason: I always keep the hoods open on anything that is in the garage for more than a few days without moving - have yet to have any rodent problems in 12 years... Good luck.
                        Last edited by 62champ; 03-19-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I have one from California Car Cover as well. Great fit on my 61 Hawk. Supposed to be breathable but one winter when our NC temp was up and down drastically I went out and checked the car and found it was dripping wet under the cover. The surface of the cover was dry. After that the cover came off and has never been back on the car.
                          Wayne
                          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

In many cases, covers are good at keeping certain things off a vehicle, but the big problem with them is what they trap under that becomes the issue. In a humid environment, moisture that would normally dry up in short order has that extended by quite a bit when there is something keeping the air from naturally flowing over it. A simple cotton sheet would do what you are looking for without spending a great deal of money (cheap sheets can be found at just about any Goodwill). Anytime you have major temperature changes, it would be a good time to take the cover off and wash it - remember vehicles in Texas with water dripping on the floor there was so much moisture in the air collecting on the body.

I never have used a cover for one reason: I always keep the hoods open on anything that is in the garage for more than a few days without moving - have yet to have any rodent problems in 12 years... Good luck.
                            Cheap sheets are what is on it now, LOL, guess i'll just sew some together

Comment

I too have wondered about car covers. My cover for the 64 R2 is from Calif. car covers. I live near a river that is brakish though connected to Raritan Bay in NJ/NJ; salt water. My garage is heated and I do have an A/C unit for the summer and humid months. I cover the 64 Hawk R1 with inexpensive fully cotten sheets. I think the sheets are easier and just breath better.

Comment

Working...
                              X