Help! What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! What is it?

Hi there; Although I've never known much about Studebakers, I've learned an awful lot lately, in my quest to discover the year and significance of what I believe to be a very rare part. It appears to be an abnormally small truck bed, with tailgate. The tailgate has the "Studebaker name pressed into it, much like the trucks in the 40's., with the exception that it does not have the raised oval border around the name. The tailgate dimensions are approximately 35" x 15". The box has a flared top at the back, but not towards the front, to simulate wings, I suppose. It's appx. 38" x 46" x 15", and has no fenders. I have not been able to find any information on the internet what so ever. Is this some kind of insert, for a car's trunk? Does anyone here, know of what I'm describing? Any help will be greatly appreciated![?]

You're describing a bed liner that replaced the trunk lid to turn a business coupe into a kind of CASO ute-amino but I'm deuced if I can remember where I last saw a picture of one. I'd bet you'll have all the info you need as soon as Georgia Jeff Rice (deepnhock) reads your post but wanted to reassure you, you're not nuts. It's exactly what you think it is.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
    In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
    If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

I have contacted the person who posted the question and sent photos of what he has.

Richard Quinn
      editor: Antique Studebaker Review
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

The story was in TW quite a while ago. It was made by an outside company to fit a '41 coupe. I don't know if it would fit other years.Quite a rare item,but I can't imagine very many buyers in line for it. The owner of the car in TW with the 'box' installed lived near Dixon Illinois,and is a friend of a friend of mine.

Oglesby,Il.
        "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

(slaps forehead for being dense)

Apologies, Mr. Quinn. Somewhere in my tired brain I knew you'd be the go-to guy on this one but I read and replied last thing before going to bed after a very long weekend. Thanks for the lightning response.

Now... any chance I could get you to shoot a copy of that pic my way, too? I'd like to have one on file and I've got about a thirty-year gap in my TW collection.

Please and thanks.

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
          In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
          If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

Many Thanks, to all you, for sharing your knowledge about this neat little box., and a Special Thanks to Mr. Quinn, For truly resolving my confusion. I will try to send him a few more pictures of this box, once I take them. Although I've never had the pleasure to own a Studebaker, After all I've learned in this "little" endeavor, It's opened my eyes, to what "wonderful" machines they made, and the "wonderful" people who keep them alive.

J.R.

Comment

Working...
            X