What year are these changes, bonus points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year are these changes, bonus points

Jim has asked a legitimate question on his 8,000 mile Avanti. I respect JIm, and his talent. He was courteous enough to send his rapid "S" emblem to me, and I am thankful he did.

His question is serious, and should be treated as such.

My question here is not nearly as serious, and is more for information.

I'm just having some fun here, inquiring what year this Avanti body should be titled as, or at least when the changes took place. Please don't take it too seriously, no arguments allowed! Body tag number 63RQ-302

The years I've put by the changes are approximate, and open to discussion. They are car model years (MY), not actual year.

Also should the 1984 MY items I listed actually be 1983 MY?

1963 Avanti body, but with second cowl vent factory installed.

You can make out the line for the kevlar bumper, shackle boxes removed.

Revised wheel opening proposed:

List of the changes:
    Has the later second cowl vent installed.(1964)
    Front parking lights filled in. (1984)
    Front bumper mount opening slotted for raised body. (1966)
    Front bumper body side openings filled. (1984)
    Front bumper body side "bumps" removed. (1984)
    Rear bumper body side openings filled. (1984)
    Rear bumper body side "bumps" removed. (1984)
    Rear bumper end openings filled. (1984)
    Tail lights filled. ? did they ever implement this?
    Fiberglass boxes to cover rear shackles removed. (1987, chevy chassis?)
    Filler around all four wheel wells for new wheel openings, since removed. (1987, 14" wheels?)
    Marking on rear of body, similar to what the later rear kevlar bumpers would fit. (1984)

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
    Here are two links for some pictures and information.
    Slide Show
    Magazine Article
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Gene - If you don't post more often, I'll drive to where ever you are building it and move in. Absolutely suberb build.

Bob [][]

Comment

Bob, thanks for the kind words. Now if expedient were just in my vocabulary. May have some new photos to post shortly. Recently inspected by Malcolm Berry, president of the "Complex solutions for non-existant problems" society, and his elderly father Bob Welbaum. He(Malcolm) gave us a verbal "OK" on the site inspection, will be sending paperwork to us with written approval when he gets back to his office.

Changing the subject back to the questions at hand above, some simple rules are required:
      All input appreciated, however, additional points awarded if references can somehow be made to John Z. Delorean, no entries from Studebaker National Museum Annex in Cincinnati, Ohio.

1963 Studebaker Avanti: C4 Corvette narrowed front/rear suspension, C5 13" calipers/rotors adapted to C4, Viper differential with Intrax 3.54 ratio (the snake has been charmed!), coil overs, stainless tubular frame, stainless chambered side exhaust.
      Here are two links for some pictures and information.
      Slide Show
      Magazine Article
      sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

To directly answer your question - 1963. To tie it in with DeLorean - I had a new DeLorean on order for a long time. When it finally arrived at the dealership, I refused it after a drive. The reference would be that DeLoreans have a stainless steel body and your Avanti has a stainless stel frame.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary:

Thanks for responding. I've never driven a Delorean. Was the V6 power inadequate? I know some friends that feel he was observing the power upgrades to the Studebakers, and did likewise to the Tempest to make the GTO. Interesting that the car bearing his name was a V6.

You're right, will probably title this as a '63 Avanti. The number of changes are interesting. We were going to remove the rear shackle boxes anyway, and they were already gone!

Comment

Rear Shackle Boxes? I thought they were burnout rubber deflectors. I've been misusing mine all this time.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152_______________Rabid Snail Racing
            Jim
            Often in error, never in doubt
            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well if you are running narrow factory 6.70 x 15 tires, you may have received only the chrome uprights.

The owner was expected to do burnouts to lay up the thickness for the vertical rubber cushion. Check your owner's manual to verify this. Part number 1555925 was offered for the R1 models only, R2 owners were expected to make their own.

Thats why the later Avanti II models rear uprights were made of aluminum (true!), what little burnout they could do with Chevy power had to be collected, so aluminum was used to insure quicker cooling for maximum rubber adhesion.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by grobb284

Gary:

Thanks for responding. I've never driven a Delorean. Was the V6 power inadequate? I know some friends that feel he was observing the power upgrades to the Studebakers, and did likewise to the Tempest to make the GTO. Interesting that the car bearing his name was a V6.

You're right, will probably title this as a '63 Avanti. The number of changes are interesting. We were going to remove the rear shackle boxes anyway, and they were already gone!
                The long wait for the DeLorean caused a build-up of anticipation. By the time my ordered car came in, early production due to an early order, the price went up considerably and features were compromised. I felt that the power was about correct for the time. That engine was currently being used by three major manufacturers, so I didn't have a problem with the engine. When I pulled out of the dealership driveway, the front tire scraped on the bodywork. After driving awhile, there was a small amount of rain. My head got rained on. The car sure did turn heads then, as it does now. Going down an Interstate with it was an almost accident causing event. People slowed, sped up, swerved, etc. to get a better look or to try to figure out what it was. The egotistical/showy part of it didn't interest me. It just didn't fit the bill as a car to live with.
                When I went to the NY Auto Show, before it came in, I was looking at the DeLorean. A guy at the booth didn't want to "give me the time of day". I mentioned that I had a DeLorean on order. The other guy made some comment to the first guy about "you can never tell." I got a better reception at that point. That is like selling cars. Many salesmen categorize people by how they look or what they are driving. I used to buy a lot of one to three year old cars. I would privately sell my car and then buy some $100 lump to drive for a few days until I got some other late model car. Many dealers didn't want to help. I remember wanting a car at a local Toyota dealership (not a Toyota). I drove in in a junker and was wearing jeans. There must have been eight or ten salesman on the floor. Not a one came over to me. After five to ten minutes, I made some comment and started to leave. The sales manager came to me wanting to know what was the problem. I explained to him and showed him the wad of cash in my pocket that I had brought to buy a car on his lot. I left and didn't buy a car there.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The Aston Martin dealership I worked at in the 70s - they considered being an authorized Briklin outlet at one point. I remember we got two cars to sell initially. The first one sold in a day or two - to a good customer of ours.
                  This was outside of Atlanta - Georgia - where it rains alot....

First showery day, our guy was out somewhere in his Bricklin and had to stand in the pouring rain while it's hydraulic, gull-wing door took it's time about opening - then SIT in the pouring rain while the hyudraulic door took it's time about closing.
                  That and other problems were the telling blows to our selling any more SV-1s![8]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Funny that you mentioned Bricklin, Bob K. The Toyota dealership that I mentioned above, was also the local Bricklin dealership. No one that currently owns or works in the dealership now knows anything about Bricklins being there.

I was recently in the local Buick, Pontiac, GMC dealership. The guy that I was talking with turned out to be the current owner and he was aware of the dealership's past as being a Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Laforza dealership.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                    X