White - A custom color in 1937 - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White - A custom color in 1937 - Help

I posted this in the Antique Car Club forum but have not gotten the answer so I'll give it a try here.

In 1937 Studebaker offered a special order color - white.
    I would like to know what "white" it is.
    Any ideas on where one can find out what the formula was?

I found a picture of a white coupe in the August,1989 Turning Wheels and am hoping someone can help me find the "correct white" on that car.
    Thanks

The car shown above was on display in the Studebaker Administration Building lobby in 1937. At left background one can see one of the museum cars and at right background another light colored '37.

For what it is worth that photo you allude to in TW (i.e. August '89) is from my collection and I believe that car is Tulip Cream. If you want that color it is almost a "spot on" match to 1978 Cadillac Colonial Yellow.

While white was a "Special Order" color in '37 ($40 extra on the Dictator) there is no way to determine exactly what white it would have been. Since it was a "Special Order" the customer could pick the color from a book or from another car comapny. I have seen production orders where these special colors are specifically delineated. For example Coca Cola Red and Lincoln Blue come to mind. Even if the original paint formula was extant it would be useless today since none of the component colors that went into the mix are available.

If you are determined to paint your '37 white find a modern white that you like and get the modern formula. There will never, ever be anyone who will question it.

Richard Quinn
    editor: Antique Studebaker Review
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Wanna bet?[]
      Richard... You are such a tease
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel
      <snip>
      If you are determined to paint your '37 white find a modern white that you like and get the modern formula. There will never, ever be anyone who will question it.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
      X