How to ID a Champ Pickup engine as 259 or 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ID a Champ Pickup engine as 259 or 289

Hello, SDC members! I just bought a 1962 Studebaker Champ to restore, but it is missing the carbs, master cylinder, radiator, needs a new dash pad, and who knows what else until I get into it. Is there a way to tell what size v8 I have? Also, is there a better place to buy parts than ebay? Thank you for your expertise in answering my questions.

Welcome to the SDC Forum!
    The engine number is STAMPED on the top of the block at the left front. Give us the number and we will tell you what the engine started as.
    There are MANY vendors that specialize in Studebaker parts - NOS, NORS, repro. and used.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Congrats on your new truck! As Rich mentioned, parts will not be as hard to find as you might think. The Studebaker Drivers Club is well worth joining, and they publish a monthly magazine with Stude related articles, as well as vendor contacts. Good Luck with you project.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
        Congrats on your new truck! As Rich mentioned, parts will not be as hard to find as you might think. The Studebaker Drivers Club is well worth joining, and they publish a monthly magazine with Stude related articles, as well as vendor contacts. Good Luck with you project.
        I do not see a reply from Rich, do you?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hey Gary, you are correct! You were the first reply. I must have needed a second cup of coffee that morning. LOL

Comment

You have posted in the wrong page of the forum, so don't be surprised if your post is moved to the general Stude page. Here are some useful links.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

http://www.studebakervendors.com/
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X