Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM punch card

Hey Y'all,
    I ordered the plus pkg. from the museum. They called this morning and said that the only thing they could find was the IBM punch card and they would send it to me for free. What information will I be able to get from the card?

• The IBM punch card "should" tell you the following information:
    • Dealer Zone
    • Dealer Code (?)
    • Car Year
    • Car Model
    • State car was sold in
    • Engine Number
    • Serial Number
    • Original Owner's name
    • Original Owner's place of employment
    • Some other information I haven't figured out yet!
    Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    \'63 R2 Lark (the money-pit-mobile)
    \'60 Lark Convertible (project in waiting)

Comment

Sometimes those cards have the contents printed on them in plain text, but most of the time you need to run it through a card reader. One card is going to have extremely limited information. A typical production order would require several cards, or more, to capture all the data.
      I see Eric responded as well. That is much more than I would expect to be on a single card. That's excellent.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

You can lookup the EBCDIC coding system. Each column is a character. That way you can decode the card without a card reader. Unfortunately, that may be of limited use unless you know or can determine the field positions or length.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Actually it depends on which of the two types of IBM cards you receive and that depends on what car you have. I am posting an image below showing the two types (in each case the car is an Avanti in this sample). Obviously the top card is more desirable inasmuch as it has more visible information but that type is not available for all cars. Since they say that the info is limited I suspect the card you will be receiving is the one at bottom. I note in 2R2's first response he states the card would have the engine number, so far as I know that is not the case. Incidentally what year and model car do you have? Click image for larger version  Name:	IBM cards samples copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.4 KB ID:	1821172
          Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 02-14-2020, 04:41 PM.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Holy Cow Univac!

Comment

Nothing odd about UNIVAC. I worked for them around 1975 on the 1108 operating system. I believe they went by the name Sperry at the time. Sometime later, they merged with Burroughs and became UNISYS which I believe still exists.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

While in the Navy in the early 70s I was stationed in Panama at the Navy Communications Station there. We had a brand new IBM card reader and when a message came through, it had a rhythm to it that sounded like a rumba song and would set everyone dancing. One crazy day we even got into a conga line and snaked around the room having a bang up time.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It has been a long time since I have used punch cards. When I was an engineer at IBM in the 1960s, for simple experiments, we put the data on punch cards and had them sorted as appropriate. Of course we were manufacturing large systems (Poughkeepsie, NY) at that time. I was working on ferrite cores at that time, prior to going to East Fishkill, NY to work on semiconductor chips.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Seems like there was a Vax 11/780 when I started college in 1986.

Comment

Amazing how many different computers were in use at the time. I started on IBM 1401. Went through 360/370. System 3, 36, 38, as 400. SDS/XDS Sigma 7. DEC 10, 11/70, VAX. HP 3000, UNIVAC 9000 and 1100 series computers, CDC 6600 and 7600 as well as many I have forgotten. Now there are mostly UNIX and Windows Server machines.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
                      X