‘53 Commander Chop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘53 Commander Chop

Anyone have experience chopping a ‘53 Commander. Looking for information on a moderate chop.

You are probably referring to what is known as a "Gentleman's chop". The windshield posts are shortened by about an inch, and the rear window not at all.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Are you working on a C or K coupe? I have an old magazine article that goes thru the steps for doing a gentlemen's chop on a K body. I can look it up and post it if somebody does not already have the info. Doing this chop on a C body can be done but is a lot more work with the quarter windows.

Comment

I'm new to Studebakers, so not sure the difference in a "C" and "K" coupe. I'm looking for a chop that is a little more agressive than the gentleman's chop.

Comment

Originally posted by jmstrs View Post
          I'm new to Studebakers, so not sure the difference in a "C" and "K" coupe. I'm looking for a chop that is a little more agressive than the gentleman's chop. There are also sedans that are shorter and don't have the C/K style.
          Coupe has a B pillar, K is a hardtop. A couple of thoughts - youtube has plenty of videos on chopping tops, get a good picture of the car you want to chop and start cutting the picture until you have what you like.

Lastly if you go far enough you will find the windshield probably won't lay back enough accommodate the chop so look into sinking the windshield. A good friend did a couple of 50's Packard's with a decent chop and it worked for him.

You can certainly cut the windshield but that's not trivial either.

If you can find the Ian Roussell video on the 56 Olds he converted from 4 to 2 door and chopped, you'll see what you are getting into.

Bob
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 02-14-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

A number of years ago a two toned green coupe went on display. IMHO it was the chop that made me realize that it might really work. It is really one of those cars that a chop just does not enhance it's original design. Many have tried many have failed.

Comment

Please, delete this post?
              Last edited by S2Deluxe; 06-02-2020, 01:22 PM.
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Jmstrs, the article that I was referring to was published in the Spring 1991, volume 1, NO. 2 of Custom Rodder magazine. It was titled A Gentleman's Chop. This chop was done on a '54 Studebaker coupe ( K model) hardtop. The magazine is no longer being published (like a lot of others, lately). I sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                X