The results of the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance: part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The results of the Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance: part I

Well, as you all have likely guessed, this event meant a great deal to me. It was a chance to represent Studebaker well on a respected platform that normally does not represent them as well as build up my automotive chops. It was a fantastic event all around, so lets get to it.

At the super-fancy gala on Friday, I had gone ahead and gotten in contact with a few people and made merry. These same people were present later in the concours, so it is a good thing that the "wheels were greased" with the ambient social setting the gala provided. (yes, that's my mom to the right. Love her!) As for the thumbs up, don't ask me why I did it. I suppose I just do it naturally in photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gala.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1820952Click image for larger version

Name:	me and mom.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1820953

Then, on Saturday, I got my car prepped and stowed away for the actual concours the following day. While I was working away, a couple of young children accompanied by both their father and grandpa approached me and were very excited. They couldn't believe they were seeing an actual young person working on a Studebaker, let alone HIS Studebaker. Needless to say, I showed the little ones all around my car. It is my express goal in the community to not be one of those collectors who treats their cars like diamonds. How is the new generation supposed to care about automobiles if they can't feel the subtle vibration of the chassis, hear the engine ticking away, or smell the sweet scent of dino-juice? They really can't and that's why I have to do something about it, if only in my small way.

Name:	kids in stude.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1820954Click image for larger version

Name:	kids again.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1820955

Given how there was plenty more hours in the day, I attended a few lectures. The first (and most prominent) one was concerning the future of the enthusiast community as a whole. This is where I got to meet all of the other "30 under 30" members for the first time. I also learned that this event, the 14th annual Boca Raton Concours d'Elegance, is the first of its kind to have such a category in history. WOW! After the weight of these humbling words had passed, plenty of useful commentary and (polite) debate was shared among us. We came to the conclusion that we should do everything we can to not just promote the car world in general, but also the idea that you can have an inexpensive car and enjoy it just as much as the more "established" nameplates. This is especially true of both the Independent marques and a lot of Japanese models. Yay! We're ahead of the curve for once!

Name:	seminar.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1820956

The other "30 under 30" cars were as follows (regrettably no photos yet): 1953 Chevrolet 3100 "stepside" pickup, 1965 Studebaker Commander two-door sedan, 1968 Pontiac Firebird convertible, 1972 Chevrolet C10 "Cheyenne" truck, 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS, and a 1995 Nissan Skyline (Japanese import, the only tuner car in the whole concours).

The final event of Saturday was a dinner where I got to meet both Mr. Brandon Anderson (the current president of the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum) and the Castle family who just now donated Duesenberg No. 1 to the museum that was purchased by the family brand new in 1921. While the comedian provided for entertainment was in my view mediocre, the food was actually really good. I suppose you would expect it to be at a place like this, but still.

Name:	with delahaye.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1820957Click image for larger version

Name:	club.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1820958

That is all for Part One! For the thrilling conclusion, please flip the record or shake your mouse over to Part Two!
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Well done. I wish we had more young people like you in the hobby.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well, Jake, you did it. Congratulations. It sounds like you had a stellar time. It appears you got to meet Wayne Carini of "Chasing Classic Cars". Cool. It must have been nice to see that you were not the only one there with a Studebaker. Your car looked stunning. We are all really happy that you had this opportunity and took your enthusiasm with you. We look forward to more stories and photos. Well done lad!
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I certainly hope Turning Wheels Editor, Ann Turner will allow extra space in an upcoming Turning Wheels for your excellent representation of the Studebaker marque at Boca Raton.

Craig

Comment

Working...
        X