Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project 1960 Lark 2 door hardtop need info and a few parts

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Dave Beck and I am located in Elk City, Oklahoma. I just bought my next project which is a 1960 Studebaker Lark VI 2 door hardtop It has been in storage for over 25 years. It has approx. 60k mile on it. I actually haven't got it home yet due to weather etc.
    I just turned 70 this last September and have always been a gear head. A friend of mine told me about the Studebaker and I went to look at it, after looking it over it sure seem familiar to me and I knew I had seen it before. It turns out the car was bought new by my first grade teacher...…. anyway I have made a deal for it and hope to get it home this weekend.
    I have a few questions and need a few parts. First question is what color was the little flathead six motor? It is covered in grim which I hope to get removed as soon as it gets to it's new home.
    I am needing a front bumper, outside drivers door handle ( or just the button for the handle) would like to replace tail light lenses and may need a fuel tank.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Dave

IIRC the little 6 cylinder is painted OD Green, black accessories, black bell housing. NOS fuel tanks kinda hard to come by, used a little better. Are your door handles stainless, or plated pot metal? Have both in used condition. NOS tail light lenses are available. PM me for details.

Bo
    Bo

Comment

When you start working on your new find, be sure to post some photos and updates.

One small correction from Bo (he is a long-time Studebaker mentor - so this is stepping outside the circle for me...) - the dominant engine color by 1960 was a silver. The exact color is always debatable, but it seemed to have a lot of metallic in it. The photo below gives you an example, but ignore the black oil filler tube - it should be silver as well. The oil filler cap ( I believe) would be black like the generator and starter. Others will chime in as they see fit. Bo can help you out with just about any part you might need - he has buildings full...

The bumpers for the 1960 Lark are the same as found on the '59 Larks, and front and back will be the same as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

For a little visual encouragement, this '60 2dr hdtp was for sale online some years back. Good, mostly original looking example.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post

The bumpers for the 1960 Lark are the same as found on the '59 Larks, and front and back will be the same as well. Good luck and keep us posted.
          The front bumper has two small holes in the middle to mount the license plate. The rear bumper does not have these holes. Other than that, front and rear bumpers are the same.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-13-2020, 02:43 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks Roy,
            I might check with you about converting my radio to FM later on let me know the best way to contact you please.
            Dave

Comment

You also might want to know that the Factory Painted their Power Trains all together Fan to Tail of Trans. all at once, all One Color, so there were no Bellhousings or Transmissions painted a different Color than the Engines.

The 1958 thru 1961 Power Trains were Aluminum Silver Color, that does fade to Silver/Gray over time and if over-heated enough, can turn a Gold looking Color.

You can use Standard Auto parts Store Duplicolor 500 degree "Aluminum", Ceramic Engine Enamel.

OH, and 1953 to 1960 Studebakers have Stainless Steel Outside Door Handles.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The '60 shown above seems to have '59 door panels installed. l have a '60 hardtop that came of the line very early (Sept. 1/59) and it has a '60 interior, so very few or no "left-over" '59 interior panels were put on early '60 South Bend production Larks.
                Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The Difference you are seeing on 1960 Larks is that the Regal interiors with Cloth Seats/Interiors used the Silver Foil "Spear" Design '59 Door Panels.
                  However, the All Vinyl Interiors had the neat White Stitched vertical pleated VINYL Door Panels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60 Conv WhiteB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	1821206Click image for larger version  Name:	60 Hardtop Green3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.6 KB ID:	1821207
                  However, both of my examples appear to possibly be replicated original, re-upholstered Door panels, especially that bright Turquoise that does not look like an original '60 Interior Color.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 02-14-2020, 11:54 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ah-ha! So THAT's the thing! Cloth vs vinyl! l learn something every day. Thanks, Rich.
                    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Beck View Post
                      Thanks Roy,
                      I might check with you about converting my radio to FM later on let me know the best way to contact you please.
                      Dave
                      My email is in my profile. The PM system on this forum is too cumbersome for me, so please do not use it. Anyone who sends me a PM is asked to send me an email instead.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X