R-2 r-3 r-4 grille emblem identification 63 and 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-2 r-3 r-4 grille emblem identification 63 and 64

Can anyone identify the difference between the r-2 r-3 and r-4 front face of the grille emblens beside the r-2,r-3 r-4 which indicates enngine. Some of the grille emblems have 2 stars on the left side of the emblem with r-2 onthe right side. Others have a s on the left side with thhe same r-2 on the right side. Thanks !!!!!!

I believe the ones with stars that are flat are for 63 type cars. The ones without the stars and flat for 63 also. I believe that R3 and R4 are only fitted for a 64 Lark type grill. I also mention that I think a 64 Hawk emblem should also be flat.

Comment

63 on the left, 64 on the right.

Do you have a picture of the 63 emblem without the stars?
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a flat R1 emblem I sold on Ebay recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrey View Post
          Since i purchased one like this on ebay , Is this 63 and 64 or what

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrey View Post
            That is for a '64 Hawk (only). The grille emblem for a '64 Lark-type would look the same, but would be much thicker and scalloped on the back to fit the Lark-type grille. The grille emblem for a '63 Hawk or Lark would be thin, have 2 stars on the left side (looking at it) and "R2" (or "R1") on the right side.
            -Dwight
            Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 01-23-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post

Since i purchased one like this on ebay , Is this 63 and 64 or what
              I would say 63 Lark type grill and both 63 and 64 Hawk grills.

Comment

The wider White Lazy "S" design without Stars was only used on '64's, no '63's.

It is exactly as Dwight said in Post #6.

Flat SHAPE, without the Grille Mesh "Notches" are for Hawks and '63 Larks however.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	63 Hawk_64 Hawk JT Emblems.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.1 KB ID:	1817605Click image for larger version  Name:	64J8R2grilleEmblem2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.8 KB ID:	1817606
                Click image for larger version  Name:	64J8R2grilleEmblem.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	1817607
                The First Pic clearly shows the '63 to '64 Difference.
                The last 2 Pics are of the same 1964 R2 Lark Type.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 01-19-2020, 04:04 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

How about a 63 r-3 emblem ??? Stars ??? Or s ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Beckert View Post
                    How about a 63 r-3 emblem ??? Stars ??? Or s ?
                    They all have the S (of different size). I believe that the '63 would have stars, if it existed, but what is the point. The R3 was not available until August 1963.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Are there R3 emblems with the stars for 63? Never seen one.

Comment

The eBay Ad showed they were almost ALL '64 Lark Type, which is why they were not selling separately for $250.00 or less from the seller, so he "Dumped Them" for an $975.00 offer.

Originally posted by studerex View Post
                        Are there R3 emblems with the stars for 63? Never seen one.
                        As Gary said in Post #10, there WERE no 1963 R3's.

Here is this from the eBay Ad:
                        I've sold a few of these recently, and found it strange that an R4 sold for $500.00. Nice for the seller, but, I listed a very nice R4 for HALF of that and hey, not even an insulting offer. You guys can be oddballs in my book. Was I asking too little?? Who knows with eBay anymore. So, I want to wash my hands of the remaining lot, and here they are.
                        I guess he does not know there was ONE R4 Built!
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-20-2020, 10:58 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I would like to buy a R3 and R4 emblem for my collection. I'm sure the buyer bought this many to flip, so they should show up retail soon. Does anyone have some for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
                            I would like to buy a R3 and R4 emblem for my collection. I'm sure the buyer bought this many to flip, so they should show up retail soon. Does anyone have some for sale?
                            Possibly. I just bought one off the guy on Ebay that was selling them and I may want to sell it. Haven't recieved it yet though.

Comment

Just for the heck of it, I'm posting this photo of the emblem on the grille of my 1961 Lark VIII convertible. The car was built/created by a guy in Fredericksburg VA whose hobby was building unique orphan cars. He commissioned Mike Meyer to build an R4 motor for this creation, and as close as it can be, that's what's still in the car.
                              Yes, I realize it's not an original Lark with an R4, nor could it be original with the T10 4-speed installed in it. Nevertheless, it's an interesting-looking car.
                              The point is that the builder went to the level of detail to source (what I was told was) an original R4 emblem during a visit to one of the well-known large Midwest parts suppliers (don't know who); this was around 2005. Regardless of its "originality", it goes along with the R4-motored theme....and it's unique in its own way.
                              Let the haters begin....
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	R4 emblem photo.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1819468
                              Mike Auldridge
                              Gaithersburg, MD
                              301-651-4346
                              SDC Life Member since 1976
                              1948 M16
                              1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Comment

Working...
                              X