Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Packard wagon

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/en...geous-interior

Great Video! The filming was well done, but of course the Owner was not Studebaker smart.

He gets the Studebaker- Packard connection and History of the '57-'58 Packards, ALL totally wrong.

I guess the host never heard of "Tailgates"! Clamshell ??????
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

By making the comment, 'Derived from the 1956 President wagon' is VERY misleading.

Studebaker did not start producing four door station wagons until 1957 when this Packard Clipper came out, and there were no two door President wagons (Pinehurst) offered after 1956. Not to mention, Packard never offered a two door wagon in 1957 or '58.

Craig

Comment

Nice looking car the owner could use a little help on details but can't fault his results and amount of money and work into project Good Job Did some searching found this connection to this Clipper
        http://stitchzinc.com/featured-proje...ckard-clipper/
        Last edited by acolds; 01-16-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Nice to see collectors taking time and money to restore a car like this. Not on everyone's radar but so import to Packard and Studebaker history. A beautiful car. And yes, clam shell was a term I heard used to describe this type of tailgate used in the '50s and some early '60s compacts.

Comment

There were also some early seventies GM wagons, with motorized clamshell tailgates. Where the gate went down below, under the floor, and the window disappeared up into the roof.

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Very enjoyable video. Thanks for sharing it!
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Lovely car!
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Thanks for posting Robert as otherwise it would have been very unlikely for me to see it. As an owner of the same it is always nice to see print about this rare production model.
                  Cheers,
                  Bill

Comment

S2Deluxe That was the Gm wagons in the early 70's. Worked ok if the owner keep them well greased. But where a real pain in the A** to fix if ever hit hard in the rear. Worked on one and the wire that held the glass straight as it went up had a spring on it that mounted about 3/4 of the way up on the roof. I found this out when I on hooked it and the wire and spring went all the way to the windshield above the headliner. Think that wasn't fun to get back out.

Comment

I have a question. I also own one of these wagons. On my car, the valve covers have Packard decals on them. Noticed this car has the Studebaker decals. Which is correct?
                      very nice car, thank you for sharing Robert!

And a short story on the GM wagons mentioned here. A fellow I worked with had one of those in the 1980’s. His wife and daughter drove it to our work place to pick him up after work. He slid in the drivers seat, wife sat on the passenger side. Daughter went in back seat and stood up behind dad. And slowly began to sink down, through what had been the floor. Only thing left was the carpet.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

My Clipper had the super charged valve cover decals when I bought it SI dold two different styles one that said super the other said Clipper . If you look close at the early picture of my car you can make out that the Super is one which was on car. Also special decal on super charger Click image for larger version

Name:	dads picts 104   packard  engine valve cover.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1818520Click image for larger version

Name:	Packard  valve cover decal  .jpg
Views:	98
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1818521Click image for larger version

Name:	Packard Clipper 1957 015.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1818522

Comment

Are you SURE that the "Clipper" decal is not for the "Detroit" Packards? Without the "289" I don't think it is for one.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                            I have a question. I also own one of these wagons. On my car, the valve covers have Packard decals on them. Noticed this car has the Studebaker decals. Which is correct?
                            very nice car, thank you for sharing Robert!

And a short story on the GM wagons mentioned here. A fellow I worked with had one of those in the 1980’s. His wife and daughter drove it to our work place to pick him up after work. He slid in the drivers seat, wife sat on the passenger side. Daughter went in back seat and stood up behind dad. And slowly began to sink down, through what had been the floor. Only thing left was the carpet.
                            It's a Packard and so your Packard Super 289 decals are correct.
                            He spared no money on restoring that one, so you would think he could find out the correct engine color.
                            Not sure why they used stitched vinyl to cover rear inner fender wells, or the ashtray used in dash, but that and other minor items can easily be changed and doesn't stop anyone from enjoying this ride. A nice rare wagon that was spared the fate of many others.
                            The person who did the interview did a great job, was very excited and obviously appreciated it, rather than make fun of it.
                            Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                            Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Are you SURE that the "Clipper" decal is not for the "Detroit" Packards? Without the "289" I don't think it is for one.
                              Rich, the '55-56 Detroit-built Clippers had Clipper embossed into the Packard V8 rocker covers - no decal.

jack vines
                              Last edited by PackardV8; 01-26-2020, 06:13 PM.
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X