Missouri Auto License, sale, safety inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri Auto License, sale, safety inspection

I sold a Studebaker to a gentleman in Missouri - a low mileage 1954 Sedan. It had not run for some time, and the new owner was aware of this and was going have the brakes and motor done.

Apparently, a safety inspection needs to be done before title can be transferred, and of course it needs to run and stop.

Is this true? Normally, title to an "unfit" vehicle can be transferred/ titled in the new owner's name, then restored at leisure. (He is waiting for the restoration shop he has selected to have room.)

I'm no expert, but it would sure seem that the title could be transferred on a vehicle, in any condition, and the safety inspection would be required for registration, to put it on the road. Hopefully some folks from Missouri will chime in with more knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
      I'm no expert, but it would sure seem that the title could be transferred on a vehicle, in any condition, and the safety inspection would be required for registration, to put it on the road. Hopefully some folks from Missouri will chime in with more knowledge.
      I would think so too...but apparently not.

https://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/title-transfers.php

"Missouri does require vehicle inspections in order to title all vehicles over 10 years old whenever there is a change of ownership."
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I got a Missouri title for a non runner with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
          I got a Missouri title for a non runner with no problem.
          So you went through an Independent AGENT?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you dig further into the link that Dick posted it says that vehicles with historic plates are exempt
            from safety inspections and smog testing. The DMV may want to see the vehicle to verify the VIN/serial number but the buyer should be able to get it titled without inspection by saying he wants historic plates.

Comment

No Rich. I bought the car with no title. Used the info from the lifetime historic plate pink slip found in the glove box, downloaded the Missouri lost title form from the internet, filled it out listing myself as a lien holder. I checked the box that said send title to lien holder. Received the title in two weeks. I’m in Illinois so I then transferred it to an Illinois title.
              Last edited by tim333; 01-13-2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

For New York, most people (even some at DMV) think that you have to insure and register a vehicle to get a title. This is not true. I have gotten a title for cars purchased that I did not plan on driving and did not want to pay for insurance and registration. Of course, every state is different, even though it shouldn't be. Some things depend on who you are dealing with at the DMV. I have gone to three DMV offices in two counties in the same day before I was able to get what I wanted done.
                How do people in Missouri get a title to a car that they are buying to restore? I am sure that they would want a clear title before expending a large amount of money on a restoration.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Cars coming into Missouri with a out of state title need an inspection to verify the title number matches the one on the car. They have a special form for this called something like ID/OD. No inspection of the mechanics etc are needed unless you want to license it for normal driving. If putting historic plates on it no inspection of mechanics is needed all you have to do is pay one time fee of 25 good as long as you own it
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

The one thing that is true about auto registration and titles in the US is that every state is different -- so comments about how things are done in other states are usually not relevant. That said, most states exempt antique/historic vehicles from most inspection requirements and this usually means that it's easier to get titles for non-operative older vehicles.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

You do NOT need an inspection to simply title a vehicle in Missouri. I brought a non-running Avanti with much body damage home from Texas to Missouri. You can just bring the title to any state license office and pay the fee to transfer the title and they send a new title to you. You ONLY need the vehicle inspection if you want to buy regular license plates.
                      If you are going to license the vehicle with antique/historic license plates, no inspection is needed. Just send the historic license plate form and $25 to the Missouri Department of Revenue and they send you new plates.
                      Lew Schucart
                      Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

THANK YOU ALL!! They got it. Someone did have to verify the ownership to the car's serial number plate.

Comment

Working...
                        X