Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FEATURE REPORT - High speed road testing of a 1963 Avanti at Sebring Raceway. (in 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEATURE REPORT - High speed road testing of a 1963 Avanti at Sebring Raceway. (in 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUY...ature=emb_logo

Last edited by showbizkid; 01-14-2020, 10:10 AM.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

GREAT video! Thanks for posting.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Thanks for the video.
      I would have rather seen the Avanti in stock configuration, including original size bias ply tires.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

High speed road testing of a 1963 Avanti at Sebring Raceway. (in 2017)

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        Thanks for the video.
        I would have rather seen the Avanti in stock configuration, including original size bias ply tires.
        Agree, it would have been interesting, but really embarrassing in today's performance car context.

A couple of years back, a young car guy friend inherited a mint '64 R2 automatic. He was all excited about having a classic when he told me about it, but after taking possession, he said, "Something's wrong with the Avanti. Can you come over and help me figure out how to fix it?" I drove his car and it was in perfect operating condition. "Define 'wrong'", I said.

"Well, it is noisy, isn't as fast as I thought a supercharged car would be, it won't stop, won't steer, won't turn and the transmission seems like it is stuck in a lower gear."

I said, "All true, if one has grown up driving 21st century performance cars. Accept that it's a beautiful antique and enjoy taking it to the occasional car show. Some there will appreciated it more than your new Mustang."

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

That was enjoyable. What a fun experience.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks for the post. It should also be mentioned that those Hankook tires were operating at or over their designated speed ratings (112 mph for "S" and 118 mph for "T" ratings. Both of these are far underrated for the Avanti's capability. It was difficult to determine which was in service but anyway, they were both close to their limits which is why so much tire howling was prevalent. Also did someone increase the pressures prior to running? It would have helped but not as much as proper high speed Michelin XWX rated for 149 mph in a 215/70VR15 appropriate sizing. That is why they (manufacturers') engineer them. I agree with Jack as it unfair to compare a late model performance car with one almost 60 years older.
            The comparison would be much fairer between the Avanti and a 1964 Mustang 289 cid. Drive one and you'll see what I mean.
            Bill

Comment

THAT was FUN! Thanks for the post. I loved listening to the whine as the supercharger was spooling up

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

WOW! What a ride. Thanks for posting this.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Gary,

Do you really want to see an Avanti in it's original configuration! Back in the day I tried that with my low mileage original Avanti. It was not only not pretty, but it scared the s... out of me. From then on I was always aware of the limitations of stock Studebaker chassis. To be fair, I could say that about most 50's car suspensions. Thereafter I was always mindful my car's limitations. It may not have kept me from doing stupid things, but at least it didn't catch me unawares.
                  Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                    Gary,

Do you really want to see an Avanti in it's original configuration! Back in the day I tried that with my low mileage original Avanti. It was not only not pretty, but it scared the s... out of me. From then on I was always aware of the limitations of stock Studebaker chassis. To be fair, I could say that about most 50's car suspensions. Thereafter I was always mindful my car's limitations. It may not have kept me from doing stupid things, but at least it didn't catch me unawares.
                    Bill
                    YES - My point is that the Avanti, and other cars of the same era, did not perform like this modified Avanti, or many modern cars, do. Some people viewing videos like this think that is how the car performed in 1963. I have owned and driven new and near new cars of that era.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary a point well taken. So we actually agree that high speed maneuvers with a stock chassis could be death defying. My point was that I saw too many attempts end vary badly. Your message was to educate the uninitiated about what we both knew to be true. Fifties and sixties cars didn't/don't handle very good. I was worried about some fool rolling a stock car.

Comment

Working...
                      X