Golden Hawk at Mecum Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Hawk at Mecum Florida

Today, at the Mecum Florida auction, a nice appearing (not show), gold, 1958 Golden Hawk sold at no reserve for $15K.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

not the best https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...r-golden-hawk/

Comment

Considering today's prices, and that the 58 is the rarest of all Golden Hawks, looks like someone got a heck of a deal.

Comment

I agree. It looks nice car for the price.

Comment

Agree. No way could any of the remaining unrestored '58 GHs be brought to that condition for $15K net.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I agree. Low price.

I remember another thread from a member lamenting about selling a 1956 GH at auction without a reserve, and it went for a similar low value.

I have witnessed several very nice ~$100K restorations sell for ~$20K.

Sellers need to do more research into how to sell vehicles at auctions.

Comment

Looks like restoration could eat up another 30K.

Comment

Yes the car was complete but didn't look under the hood as the corners were already kinked. Front seat was split and a side glass was broken as I recall. Appeared to have all factory tinted glass though.
                Rob in PA.

Comment

Also replacing the 14 " very large rubber today is tough. I agree this is a great deal for someone who is willing to bring it back to first class.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                    I agree. Low price.

I remember another thread from a member lamenting about selling a 1956 GH at auction without a reserve, and it went for a similar low value.

I have witnessed several very nice ~$100K restorations sell for ~$20K.

Sellers need to do more research into how to sell vehicles at auctions.
                    Taking a large loss at auction is the norm for all but the most popular vehicles or those with some celebrity backstory. At every auction, one can see $250,000 hot rods and customs being sold for $50,000 - $75,000 or less. The sellers just go on about their business, either being able to afford to build another car or saying they're never going to do that again.

The hard lesson for would-be-buyers is the cars all look better on TV. If one is considering bidding, getting to the auction several days early with a pair of coveralls and getting down under the cars with a flashlight and a magnet is a must. There's some nasty stuff going across the block with shiny new paint.

Having said that, if one has some latitude in what he wants to own, really nice driver bargains can be had at most auctions.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Not perfect, sure, but looks pretty complete. At that price I'd find a space in the garage for it!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

RE: Post #10. Well-spoken and spot-on, Jack. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                        X