R1 1964 Cruiser production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 1964 Cruiser production numbers

Any one out there know how many 1964 cruiser full package cars were produced?

I have one that is sadly just a parts car at this point. Engine and trans long gone as a donor for an avanti by previous owner. But the 160mph spedo is still there along with the rear stabilizer setup. Strangely equipped for a cruiser with manual steering and brakes and radio delete.

5023 total Cruisers according to the Classic Car Database. As far as "full package" is concerned, ...?

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/sp...=1964&model=99
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Got any photos of it?

I know there were two 1964 R2 full-package Cruisers made, but I'll have to try and locate the figures for R1's.

Keep in mind, for the 1964 model year, engine numbers were changed from sequential numbering to the date it was made. Therefore, one or more 1964 cars may have the same engine number.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 01-11-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

These are all I have on my phone I'll take a few more later. If it's as low a production number as the R2 cars I'll have to reconsider parting it out!
        Attached Files

Comment

I would definitely reconsider for sure!

Craig

Comment

That is only 1533 into the "Lark"/Hawk production for the 1964 model year. I wonder if it was built as a show car, for a corporate big-wig, for Bonneville, for other race/speed contests or something else special. The production order may give a clue.

I have owned four 1964 Cruisers, but none equipped like that one.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have 2 others and they are both full of options am/fm radio, power brakes power steering. This one is bare bones. I thought it was very odd.

Comment

I know who parted out the Bordeaux Red one with a R1 Power Shift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64Commander2drGreenV8.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1816605
                Last edited by StudeRich; 01-11-2020, 11:12 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now that one does look too nice to part out.

Comment

There were 9 full Package 1964 Cruisers built.
                    6 were JT (R1) powered
                    3 were JTS (R2) powered

64V-2533 is a very unique car indeed and had TT and FM radio with rear speaker, but it was not a full package car (missing a few things like powershift and heavy duty suspension).
                    Black with Red Cloth interior would be a stunning color combination.
                    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                    Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellingham Studenut View Post
                      There were 9 full Package 1964 Cruisers built.
                      6 were JT (R1) powered
                      3 were JTS (R2) powered

64V-2533 is a very unique car indeed and had TT and FM radio with rear speaker, but it was not a full package car (missing a few things like powershift and heavy duty suspension).
                      Black with Red Cloth interior would be a stunning color combination.
                      Wow thanks for the info studenut! Strange that your info says fm radio since there is a radio delete plate and no antenna or mounting holes where one was. It was a column shift auto car as you said. Guess since it wasn't a full package car it's not quite as rare. It would have been a beautiful car when new.

Comment

It's still a rare car with only 31 non packaged R1 Cruisers built.
                        There was only 1 of those built with that stunning Black/Red combination.
                        Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                        Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Remember though, that it was built with a H.D. Flight-O-Matic with Oil Cooler and Lines.

It also has "PVis" >Padded Sun Visors though!

The Cruiser would have been shipped to a Dealer or Zone Office with the Antenna in the Trunk, so the buyer may have opted out of the AM/FM or the Fenders were replaced later.

It also had a Rear Seat Speaker, any evidence of the Hole in the Package Tray liner?
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-11-2020, 02:48 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I remembered that the breakdown was in the September '89 TW. I went down where I have my old ones, and my file goes from August to October, sigh.

I recall the number of '64 R2-powered Cruisers as nine, with only two as full-package cars. I remember this as a friend of mine, still with us and an employee of a Studebaker dealership at the time, ordered 64V-14402, a full-package R2 black Cruiser with red cloth buckets, Powershift, no power steering, AM radio, rear-seat speaker, and 'Certified' speedometer. I had the TW with me when we were visiting and he kept repeating, "Two? Two?!", LOL.

Sorry, can't recall the R1 numbers, but all R-powered '63 and '64 Larks and Lark-types are low-production.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Besides selling 64V-14402, my small hometown dealer, Carl E. Filer Co. of Greenville, PA, also sold 64V-10795, another black, R2 Cruiser but without the full-package and with blue split front seats in cloth and HD Flightomatic transmission. Amazing to me that this one dealer sold two of the nine R2 '64 Cruisers, and that they were both black.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Working...
                              X