R1 1964 Cruiser production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Remember though, that it was built with a H.D. Flight-O-Matic with Oil Cooler and Lines.

It also has "PVis" >Padded Sun Visors though!

The Cruiser would have been shipped to a Dealer or Zone Office with the Antenna in the Trunk, so the buyer may have opted out of the AM/FM or the Fenders were replaced later.

It also had a Rear Seat Speaker, any evidence of the Hole in the Package Tray liner?
    Padded sun visors are still there . The package tray is disintegrated but didn't think to look for a speaker since no radio.

I actually have a HD flightomatic in the garage but no R1 to go with it. I think the only other thing missingis the clock out of the dash, we'll and maybe a good portion of the floors.

thanks for all the info!

it's a shame it sat out in a field for 30+years

Comment

Jasper, I don't see evidence of an R engine fender tag on the RF fender visible in that one photo.

With no antenna hole to boot, do you suppose the front fender(s) were replaced at one time and no hole was drilled for the antenna, nor did the R-engine fender tags make it to the new fender at the time? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The tags were on it. Previous owner had them in his garage but wouldn't let them go with it. You can see the outline on the drivers fender. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow to post. Been rainy here today. Still very possible one or both were replaced at some point though.

Comment

I found another pic that shows the outline of the badge on the rf fender
          Attached Files

Comment

I was told there was one at Clayton motors in Lakewood N.J. and I don't know if it a full package car , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
              I was told there was one at Clayton motors in Lakewood N.J. and I don't know if it a full package car , Ed
              That brings back memories. It has been decades since I made the long trek down to Clayton Motors. I remember it as the first place that I saw multiple three seat Wagonaires.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A few more pics
                Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I don't think THOSE Fenders have been replaced!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Yeah, I don't think THOSE Fenders have been replaced!
                    No I don't think so. It does have the rear speaker installed but no radio or antenna were ever installed or at least I can't find any evidence of either.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That '64 Cruiser R1 is very much like our '61 Lark VIII 289 W4 short W/B #1 Prototype for Police Cars.
                      It is just a neglected Field Car Rust Bucket also, on the verge of being scrapped.

Just a difficult/sad thing to have to do, if you care about these rare pieces of Rolling History!
                      I am seriously considering to "Pop" for the BIG complete History Package from the Studebaker National Museum with the Shipper, to see if I can find out WHERE it was actually Delivered and any other pertinent data on my Police Car.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by jwitt View Post

No I don't think so. It does have the rear speaker installed but no radio or antenna were ever installed or at least I can't find any evidence of either.
                        Perhaps it was ordered/spec'd. to have an AM/FM radio, but there wasn't one available at the time of build.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Perhaps it was ordered/spec'd. to have an AM/FM radio, but there wasn't one available at the time of build.
                          The same probably also happened to this 1964 R2 Cruiser as well; except an AM radio was subbed
                          : https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....hlight=Hinshaw

Craig

Comment

Rare. And definitely ought to be saved. Even if one had to settle for a regular 259/289. Obviously wouldn’t be an easy or cheap project but I’ve seen plenty a lot worse brought back.

Comment

Got a copy of the September '89 Turning Wheels, with the production order research and breakdowns for '64 "Super Studebakers".

Contrary to earlier information in this thread, there were seven R1 Cruiser full-package cars and two R2 Cruiser full-package cars built in the '64 model run.

Also, I thought I had remembered that there were nine R2 '64 Cruisers built, but it was only eight. Still amazing to me that my small hometown Stude dealer in a town of under 9,000 then sold two of those eight...64V-10795 and 64V-14402. Records at the SNM Archives show both were indeed delivered in Greenville, PA (i.e., neither had been a dealer trade).
                              Last edited by Bill Pressler; 01-15-2020, 10:43 AM.
                              Bill Pressler
                              Kent, OH
                              (formerly Greenville, PA)
                              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                              All are in Australia now

Comment

Just received the production order today. Strange it doesn't give an engine #. Found out why there wasn't a radio installed. What was Ac3498 ?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X