Whazzit ? Studebaker - Onan connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whazzit ? Studebaker - Onan connection

I came across this photo of an Onan generator.

but even though Studebaker owned Onan in the 1960s, this power unit resembles the Studebaker V8, but not quite. What is your guess?

jack vines
    PackardV8

My first guess was Olds, so I googled it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...78776665393919

Looks like a 324 at the bottom of the page.

Comment

At least to my eye, the 324" Olds intake does not at all resemble the intake on the Onan.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

First generation AMC V8? The valve (rocker) covers look a little different - the first gen AMC V8s that I remember had the ends of the covers cut at an angle.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It is Industrial/ Marine if you notice the exhaust manifolds. I meant 303 olds, but it could be a Cadi also. More of a stove huggers topic I think unless someone crammed some Olds rocker covers on a stude v8.

Comment

That Valve Cover is SO close to a Stude. but not! If I had to guess I'd say International or AMC.
            Clearly was in a Boat though.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              That Valve Cover is SO close to a Stude. but not! If I had to guess I'd say International or AMC.
              the first gen AMC V8s that I remember had the ends of the covers cut at an angle.
              Yes, the early AMC had the ends of the rocker covers beveled, so not AMC.
              No, the International rocker covers are scalloped on the bottom, so not IH.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                More of a stove huggers topic........
                But.......Onan was a Studebaker division for quite a while. Isn't this forum for all things Studebaker??
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  No, the International rocker covers are scalloped on the bottom, so not IH.

jack vines
                  IH made/makes engines that didn't make it into 'normal' on-road vehicles. I think the engine in the Onan generator is an International Harvester 549 series V8 engine. Here is a pic of a UV549 IH engine:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	International_UV549_engine_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	1816531
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Thanks for the research! I'll buy that as an IH I've never seen.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

This one did a lousy Parking job. May be the same block, but different heads and manifolds. Imagine finding parts for that thing.

Comment

Here's a cutaway of a 549:

Craig

Comment

Onan generators were an option for 1969/72 F100/350's, known as a "Power Pac" by FoMoCo. Generator located on the left (drivers) side of the engine compartment.

Comment

I have an Onan division of Studebaker 10 KW 4 cylinder air cooled diesel generator and it works great.
                            Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X