Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.R.,
    Good eye, You guys are a sharp bunch!
    The former 1st owner has an entry in his journal stating that he picked up a 6 volt alternator with a modified wide pulley. He passed on before installation. 2nd owner never put it on. The car always starts, charges good and I have no plans to change it either. It works well, is all original and I am going to leave it at that.
    Tony

Comment

'Looks like a nice car, Tony; congratulations.

Do you realize you could put a later TT (Twin Traction) emblem somewhere on it and tell people it's your initials? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Brakes are done.
        In an earlier post I spoke of brake problems and discovered linings were un-bonding and binding between the shoe and drum.
        While I waited for new shoes to arrive, I cleaned things up, honed and kitted the wheel cylinders. The Champ is back on all fours again and the brakes work well.
        Tony
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello all,
          The detailed journal that was in this car told how the owner cleaned, scraped and wire brushed the frame, floors, inner fenders and trunk until his hands were so tired he had to lay off occasionally to let his hands heal. Most of his effort still shows with only a few small spots peeling. these could easily be touch up if desired. The engine and trans were removed at this time also. Engine was rebuilt and a new clutch was installed with 60,000 showing on the clock. The Champ has good oil pressure, starts, runs, drives well and shifts perfectly! Goes down the road real nice and should be a dependable driver with all the work that has been done. One of the few cars that does not drip any fluids on my shop floor.
          Here are pictures of underside.
          Tony
          Attached Files

Comment

Had a recent break in the weather with clean roads across south Minnesota. I got to cruise the Champ into our nearby small town and a trip to the neighbors. This car starts, runs and drives real well for a 1949! I am thrilled with how nicely it shifts and pleasantly surprised with the smooth short throw of the shift pattern. Gauges and lights work and this is one of the few old cars that does not drip fluids on my garage floor. The Champ has been serviced from bumper-to-bumper and has new brakes. Had engine rebuild and clutch at about 60,000 miles. It now shows 60,214 and I feel sure that it can be a reliable driver for some time. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
            Attached Files

Comment

Tony,
              There's white stuff on the roads in MN. I know you're anxious top get the '49 n the road, but it's freaking January. After 26 years in MN I decided that winter is a lesson for slow learners and moved west. Even here in Kirkland, WA the '63 Avanti is fast asleep under its car cover waiting for maybe April to hit the roads. Impressive that you took it out to drive the miles to earn the smiles. Keep it up.
              "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
              R.W. Emerson

Comment

Working...
              X