Studebaker (almost) scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker (almost) scare

Saw a commercial on television yesterday and it gave me quite a scare.
    two fellows are pushing a car into a garage. For a second I thought it was a Lark.
    then I realized it wasn’t a Lark but, a copy by Chrysler Corp. a 1961 Plymouth Valiant!
    I still haven’t gotten over Mobil pushing that Lark off the roof of a building!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
    Saw a commercial on television yesterday and it gave me quite a scare.
    two fellows are pushing a car into a garage. For a second I thought it was a Lark.
    then I realized it wasn’t a Lark but, a copy by Chrysler Corp. a 1961 Plymouth Valiant!
    I guess that you do not know that some, like the grille shape, of the 1959 Lark was copied from the designs for the 1960 Valiant.
    I did not see the commercial. How do you know it was a 1961 Plymouth Valiant and not a 1960 Valiant (not a Plymouth)? As far as I remember, about the only differences in the exterior were in the grille mesh and the placement of the rear nameplate.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
      THAT was a waste of what was probably still a good '62 Lark!!

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ing-a-lark-sad

And the Lark copying the Valiant grille here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....tomotive-world

Craig

Comment

Just guessing from my memory (somewhat fuzzy) about year of the Valiant.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Pushing that 62 Lark off the roof for a commercial probably gave Studebaker more exposure than if that car had survived. It more likely would have ended up as scrap after living out the remainder of its life in obscurity. Now it lives forever in our memories and keeps getting hits on YouTube. Kudos to the Lark.
          sals54

Comment

The cynic in me says that the time frame for the crushing of the Cruiser was just pushed up by several decades. That process has been playing out, regularly for several decades as people have disposed of their white elephants.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              Pushing that 62 Lark off the roof for a commercial probably gave Studebaker more exposure than if that car had survived. It more likely would have ended up as scrap after living out the remainder of its life in obscurity. Now it lives forever in our memories and keeps getting hits on YouTube. Kudos to the Lark.
              The same has been said for TV and movie cars; notably General Lee and Christine. Because of fame and exposure, more 1969 Chargers and 1958 Plymouths were saved from the crusher than got wrecked on the show.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X