Pure stock drags in turning wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure stock drags in turning wheels.

Just got my latest Turning wheels with the results of the pure stock drags. Nice read but you can sure tell most of these guys are getting up there in age. They listed the rt times and no one would make a round in bracket racing. If you cut a .024 or more your most likely going out first round. Some of these guys where at .171 to .769. In the real race world the guy in the other lane would be off the gas and coasting with that.

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    Just got my latest Turning wheels with the results of the pure stock drags. Nice read but you can sure tell most of these guys are getting up there in age. They listed the rt times and no one would make a round in bracket racing. If you cut a .024 or more your most likely going out first round. Some of these guys where at .171 to .769. In the real race world the guy in the other lane would be off the gas and coasting with that.
    Yes, lotsa old guys racing Studes, but lotsa old guys racing pure stock whatevers.

No, pure stock reaction times and 0-60s are not apples-to-apples with bracket racing. The pure stock suspension and tires don't react and hook instantly. The Stude 0-60 times are pretty competitive with the other makes in pure stock, old guys or not.

Maybe, look beyond Studes and see how they fare with others in their pure stock brackets.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

It is not possible to have a .024 reaction time. In order to post that time in a drag race the driver has to anticipate when the light will go green and actually start before the light.
      David L

Comment

If you are waiting for the Green to come on you are already late and have been treeded by the other guy. I bracket raced for years and you want to leave when the last yellow is coming on to cut a good light or its over. Most of the guys there know this and I know Ted sure does. The way these cars leave compared to dedicated drag cars makes most of the difference. The pure stockers don't get up on the tire like a car with drag slicks or sticky racing tires. It takes time to get the pure stockers rolling without blowing the tires off of them and spinning. Likewise it takes time for the suspension to react, plant the tires, move the front end up and forward and get things rolling as quickly as possible. Its skating a fine line between spinning and just having enough traction to plant tires & move forward.

Comment

For sure a stock car will never leave like a full out drag car BUT some of those lights need work. As far as never cutting a .024 or less not to brag but most of the lights on my son's camaro he try's for .024- .000 average is .010- .002 Still looks like a group of guy's having a blast though. You never leave on the green as said. you practice on the last yellow until you get it down as low as possible. Had a old time drag racer tell me if you soaked a stock tire in brake fluid they would get as sticky as a slick but wouldn't last long. Never tried it.
          Last edited by swvalcon; 01-07-2020, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Here is a video my wife driving our '64 Daytona hardtop 289 V8 / 225hp FOUR SPEED MANUAL TRANS at the 2018 PSMCD during practice. It shows her four quickest reaction times of the weekend ranging from 0.071 - 0.026 seconds.

Also, at the 2017 PSMCD my wife won her 2 out of 3 shootout, advanced to the BRACKET RACE and finished SECOND OVERALL in the bracket race. She lost in the final round when she went TOO FAST and broke out.

Don't tell my wife she can't launch a 4 speed Studebaker with a 0.026 reaction time or compete in bracket races. She learned from Ted Harbit, Richard Poe, and the rest of Team Studebaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCH2tmbgl3g

Neil Loughlin
            Ortonville, MI
            Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Daytona Hardtop
            1962 Champ Truck
            1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

I double dog dare you. https://www.rpmoutlet.com/reaction.html

Comment

t1003ni. With those numbers she should do well. .071-,026 are good numbers for a stocker. But when they get into the .700 range what you had to stop and finish lunch?

Comment

Not sure what the point was with this post. Guys are getting old, so what. They are having fun with their cars. Isn't that the aim?

Comment

Indeed.....
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Son O Lark View Post
                      Not sure what the point was with this post. Guys are getting old, so what. They are having fun with their cars. Isn't that the aim?
                      AMEN Barry!
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                      X