In the WSJ again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the WSJ again!

Well, imagine my surprise when none other than A.J. Baime emails me letting me know that I was to be included in his "Best of 2019" list. I was away in Reno, NV with family, so I was not made aware of the full extent of it. It is great! The only fly in the ointment is that I am number five out of ten selected. However, this is a non-issue. As the column appears only once per week, and there are 52 weeks in a year, I was selected over 42 other people to be the "best". What really matters is that I promote Studebaker in an honest and endearing manner.

Happy New Year to all! May 2020 be bright and cheery here and there!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/our-fav...fR9O5P89SYBATA
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Congrats!
    Now.. Now use your new found fame for good, and not evil <lol>..
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hearty congratulations Jake. You have achieved something the rest of us (Studebaker fans) could only dream of. Keep up the terrific work into 2020.
      Bill

Comment

Jake, you are definitely living right. Congratulations. At this rate I am going to have to subscribe to the WSJ.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

'Way to go, Jake; all the best....congratulations.

Question: Is there any way to read the article without subscribing to The WSJ? I click on the link and can only read the first paragraph before it fades to nothing and solicits a subscription. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Agreeing with Bob in both cases...
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              'Way to go, Jake; all the best....congratulations.

Question: Is there any way to read the article without subscribing to The WSJ? I click on the link and can only read the first paragraph before it fades to nothing and solicits a subscription. BP
              DON'T WORRY BOB. THIS IS THE ARTICLE IN FULL.

Every week The Wall Street Journal’s My Ride column profiles vehicles and their owners, with surprising back stories. Here’s a look back at 2019.
              A Vintage Motorcycle’s Lucky Number

Shasta Smith’s story is proof that a vehicle can change a person’s life. While recovering from a non-motorcycle injury about a decade ago, she spent her time turning an old 1972 Honda CB175 into the sleek gloss-black #5 motorcycle seen here. The racing number came from a 1970s BMW racing bike that had inspired her years earlier. At the time, she was working as an interior architect. Now she owns her own motorcycle restoration shop, the Vintage Monkey in Sacramento, Calif. Ms. Smith is still riding, collecting, and restoring motorcycles. As she put it in her column last January: “Would I be who I am, where I am, doing what I am doing, if not for this bike?”

Photos: A Bike That’s a Keeper

‘Nobody will pry it out of my hands,’ says Shasta Smith of the 1972 Honda she restored

Shasta Smith took a stock 1972 Honda CB175 and turned it into the bike you see here, complete with racing number 5 and glossy black paint.
              RYAN ANGEL MEZA FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 9
              Does Your VW Camper Come With the Original Shot Glasses?

Tim Huestis—a banker who recently moved from North Carolina to Nashville, Tenn.—lived in West Germany for a time during the 1970s, and that’s where he fell for Volkswagen s. He has owned a few—but this 1960 VW Westfalia is special. Known as “a hotel on wheels” back in the day, the VW Westfalia camper came with accessories, and those accessories are rare today. When Mr. Huestis bought this 1960 camper couple of years ago, it came with original stuff—a tent with poles, a table that folds into a bed and 10 cups, including six shot glasses you might use for an evening jigger of Jägermeister. “I replaced the engine with a slightly more powerful one and put disc brakes on the front wheels,” Mr. Huestis explained in the column that ran in April. “So this Volkswagen runs as good as an old camper can.”

Photos: A 1960 VW Still Fit for Camping

Tim Huestis shows off his Volkswagen camper, which still has many of the original accessories that don’t come with modern vehicles

Tim Huestis bought his 1960 Volkswagen Westfalia camper in 2017. It came with original accessories like a tent and shot glasses.
              ALEX BOERNER FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 17
              It Wouldn’t Be a Family Reunion Without This Herd of Mustangs

There is much about the Speed family’s story that seems, well, unlikely. For example, the Speed family—Daniel Speed, a rocket technician living in Florida, and his seven brothers and sisters—all love Mustangs, and their name is Speed. Also, the family first got into Mustangs in the early 1970s when their father traded an actual pony for a 1965 Mustang—a pony for a “pony car,” as the Mustang is often called. Today, the Speeds have a herd of high-performance Mustangs and they gather them for family reunions.
              ​Members of the Speed family with their vintage Ford Mustangs, photographed in May at their family reunion in Lake Park, Ga. PHOTO: RYAN KETTERMAN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNALHe Calls Himself the World’s Youngest Studebaker Fan

Jake Kaywell, 19, who graduated from high school in West Palm Beach, Fla., last spring, remembers seeing a Studebaker at a car show when he was younger. He thought “it fit me like a tailored suit,” as he said in the My Ride column that ran in July. He homed in on the 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk, which was designed by the same man who designed the Miller Brewing logo and an Oscar Mayer Wienermobile. Mr. Kaywell bought his 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk with money he earned by working summer jobs and additional funds “I earned by getting A’s on my report cards.” He will be showing his car at the Boca Raton Concours d’Elegance, in February. “Time for me to go represent Studebaker and build up my automotive chops at this very special event!” he says.

Photos: Forget Jaguars and Ferraris, He’ll Take the Studebaker

‘There is no other car on the face of this planet I would rather drive,’ says Jake Kaywell

Jake Kaywell describes himself as ‘the world’s youngest Studebaker fan.’ He bought his 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk a little over a year ago.
              ANDRIANA MEREUTA FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 9
              This Citroën Waited 16 Years for Its Driver

Like many car enthusiasts today, Geneva Long inherited her passion from her father. Ms. Long, the Los Angeles-based CEO of Bowlus Road Chief travel trailers, grew up with Citroëns in the family. When she was born in 1990, her father bought her a Citroën Deux Chevaux, new that year. So the entire time she was growing up, the car was waiting for her. Deux Chevaux means “two horses” in French; Citroën made this iconic ride for years, but 1990—the year of this specific car—was the last model year, “so my car is the most modern Deux Chevaux,” Ms. Long explained in the column that ran in July. When she got her license, she drove the car in high school, then took it to college, and she still drives it today.

Photos: The Swan Song of a Classic French Car

Geneva Long, CEO of Bowlus Road Chief travel trailers, shows off her 1990 Citroën Deux Chevaux, made in its last year of production

Geneva Long photographed near the Pacific Ocean in Malibu, Calif., poking through the roof of her 1990 Citroën 2CV.
              IAN SPANIER FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 13
              A 1934 Ford Built to Race Over 200 MPH

Growing up, Rob Gibby and Bobby Dripps were gearhead friends who dreamed of someday building a land speed racing car. They went their separate ways but decades later, they reunited to make that dream come true. Mr. Gibby, now a retired contract manufacturer living in New Jersey, and Robin Dripps (who transitioned from male to female), a professor of architecture at the University of Virginia, started racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in 2005. Their current car—spearheaded by Ms. Dripps—is a 1934 Ford with 675 horsepower. It has achieved a speed of 210.588 mph. They are now readying the car to race again in 2020, in hopes of achieving a world record in their class of car.

Photos: High Speeds on the Salt Flats

A pair of longtime friends show off the 1934 Ford they souped up to get running at over 200 mph

Robin Dripps was the main force behind the building of the Dripps &amp; Gibby Racing 1934 Ford race car. Here she’s pictured in a fire-control suit that would protect her for about 45 seconds if she were stuck in a fire.
              CHAD KIRKLAND FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 17
              Two of the Same Ultra-Rare Cars in the Same Town?

Nathan Swanson, a staff assistant at Duke University’s Population Research Institute, first saw a 1951 Frazer Manhattan when he was in the sixth grade, in a 19-year-old magazine advertisement. Separately, Rex Crews, a lecturing fellow in Duke’s classical studies department, got interested in Frazer cars years ago, and had always wanted a 1951 Manhattan. Now, these two men, living in the same town, working at the same university, both own a 1951 Manhattan convertibles—noteworthy, given that only 131 Manhattan convertibles were built in 1951. In fact, their 1951 Frazers were among the last Frazers ever made. Said Mr. Swanson, in the column he appeared in, in November: “Part of the joy of owning this car is keeping the history alive.”

Photos: Twin Classic Convertibles in Green and White

The 1951 Frazer Manhattan has two car collectors working to keep its memory alive in Durham, N.C.

Rex Crews, left, and Nathan Swanson with their 1951 Frazer Manhattan convertibles in front of Duke University Chapel. Both are wearing period-correct 1950s garb.
              JEREMY M. LANGE FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 15
              The Ford that Dethroned Ferrari in 1966

The 2019 movie “Ford v Ferrari” is about a motor-racing rivalry between two legendary car brands, which climaxed at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966. The movie is based on a true story, and the Ford GT40 Mk II you see here is the actual car that beat Ferrari, at that race. It is owned by Rob Kauffman of Charlotte, N.C., an entrepreneur and owner of RK Motors, a sales and restoration shop for car collectors. Mr. Kauffman also has a 2017 Ford GT Heritage Edition with styling cues inspired by the 1966 car; both are built to exceed 200 mph. Mr. Kauffman is planning to take the 1966 car to the Le Mans Classic vintage racing event in France in 2020.

Photos: A Matched Pair of 200-MPH Fords

The 1966 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mk II and its custom-painted mate, the 2017 GT Heritage Edition

Rob Kauffman with his two Fords: the 1966 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mk II, left, and the 2017 GT Heritage Edition.
              JEREMY M. LANGE FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 20
              It’s Not an Alfa Romeo or a Jaguar—It’s a Tribute to Both

Dave Hinz, a retired software company co-owner living in Harbor Springs, Mich., knew nothing about car mechanics and had no experience in metal-forming when he set out to build the vehicle you see here. He started out by drawing a picture of a car on a wall, and his goal was to use vintage car-building techniques to build one all his own. Voilà: the finished product, which took Mr. Hinz about 10 years to build and was completed in June. He used the underlying components of a 1950s-era Jaguar XK-140 (notably the engine) to build a street-legal reimagining of a 1936 Alfa Romeo 8C. He built the seats out of plywood, foam and vinyl, and hand-formed the aluminum grille. The car’s top speed? “If I can ever answer that question,” he said in the column that appeared in August, “I’ll be answering it from inside a jail cell.”

Photos: A 1930s Car Built Eight Decades Later

A retiree took 10 years to build a car inspired by Alfa Romeo and Jaguar

Dave Hinz calls his car the A.J. Speciale. A is for Alfa Romeo (since the car is modeled after a 1936 Alfa) and J is for Jaguar (since the underlying components are from an old Jag).
              ERIN KIRKLAND FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              1 of 11
              The Corvette Expert’s Corvette

Before he left General Motors in 2016, Ed Welburn was the sixth man to run the company’s design department, and the first to lead the company’s design globally. Growing up, he loved the cars of the 1950s, especially those designed by his hero Harley Earl, who was the first to run an organized automobile design studio in America. Earl’s studio was responsible for designing the Chevrolet Corvettes of the 1950s. For Mr. Welburn, “1957 was a golden year for the Corvette.” He bought his from the former New York Yankees slugger Reggie Jackson. Mr. Welburn, who now lives in Pennsylvania, is looking forward to getting a next-generation Corvette (new for model year 2020) in the same paint-scheme as his 1957 model—silver with red interior.

Photos: A Silver Sports Car From a Golden Year

Ed Welburn’s 1957 Corvette was designed in large part by his hero, the late Harley Earl

Ed Welburn, retired head of global design for General Motors, says 1957 was a golden year for the Corvette.
              JASON KEEN FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                The only fly in the ointment is that I am number five out of ten selected. However, this a non-issue.
                Looking at the above photos, you were up against some serious competition! Congrats on your part, but just be happy that you were in the top ten, as the '38 Coupe Express article with its excellent photos never made this list.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Looking at the above photos, you were up against some serious competition! Congrats on your part, but just be happy that you were in the top ten, as the '38 Coupe Express article with its excellent photos never made this list.

Craig

Of course I'm grateful. Not everyone can be in the "best" list after all. Pity about the '38 Coupe Express though. I thought it was lovely.

Comment

Nice to see a VW bus in the same colors as my first one, a story by it self. & the last year built 2cv, they started building those in 1948 so it's not many car makers that can compete with that... (Had a bunch of those, still have standing waiting to be restored & my other car (beside Josephine) Gaston is a AMI.)
                    & what I really liked about you & Daisy Mae is the picture of you laying in the trunk!

It's just a "I'm so satisfied with my car!" & just beautifully different... Well, all these pictures are beautiful.
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 01-08-2020, 12:59 AM.
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                      what I really liked about you & Daisy Mae is the picture of you laying in the trunk!
                      It's just a "I'm so satisfied with my car!" & just beautifully different... Well, all these pictures are beautiful.
                      I'm certainly glad you think so. I really do care about Daisy-Mae quite a bit. If I didn't, I do not believe I could be called an enthusiast. Would you kindly do me a favor and give a little love to Josephine and Gaston for me? I'm all the way across the Atlantic after all!

Comment

Sure thing Jake, careing is a good thing!
                        & thanx for that!

sigpic

Josephine
                        Champion V8
                        4d sedan

Comment

WOW! What a grand bunch of automobiles. The green GT certainly fits right in there with them. Congratulations!
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Well, Jake,

I see your also famous across the pond in the December Classic & Sportscar magazine on page 185!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Well, Jake,

I see your also famous across the pond in the December Classic & Sportscar magazine on page 185!!

Craig
                              Wow! I had no idea. Can you please show me?

Comment

Working...
                              X