Serial Number of my 1963 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serial Number of my 1963 Avanti

I do not remember the Serial Number of my 1963 Avanti. I owned it sometime during the 1969 to 1976 time frame. I bought it in New York City from Art Rust Jr., who I believe was the original owner. For those that do not know, my name is Gary Lindstrom. Hopefully, someone has something from AOAI, SDC or elsewhere that has the S/N linked to me and/or Mr. Rust ( a sportscaster in NY). You may either post the S/N here or send it to me privately.

I remember my 1964 Avanti as being 5176 and my 1987 Avanti as being 0006. Perhaps I could learn of the current owners and locations of all three Avantis.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Some additional information:

I was figuring that someone had the '63 listed in a roster, meet event, etc. with my name. During the time that I owned these three Avantis, I belonged to SDC & AOAI and I showed all three at SDC/AOAI Meets.

1 - It was a round light '63, 2 - I believe that it was built as a turquoise car, but the original owner (Art Rust Jr.) had a color change to brown done on the car., 3 - It was an R1 & AT., 4 - ISTR selling it to a guy from the Virginia area.
    Last edited by studegary; 12-31-2019, 06:43 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I was figuring that someone had the '63 listed in a roster, meet event, etc. with my name. .
      Chances of a vehicle serial number being shown would be far greater in a registry than a membership roster, provided someone started and maintained one for Studebaker Avantis. Do you remember anyone asking you to submit information on your Avanti including the serial number? And if you were asked, did you cooperate and submit it? If so, you can hope someone will come forward who may have an old copy of Avanti registry data.

Club membership rosters don't usually state more than the year, model, and body style.

Craig

Comment

I'm sure this info exists. Problem is accessing it. Besides SDC & AOAI membership records (if they go back that far) how about state registration records and insurance records.

Comment

Gary, since you know the original purchaser's name, the SNM could research the cards that were were filled out by the dealers with purchaser's name/address/etc. You would have to pay their research fee though - gets down to go badly do you want to find that serial number?
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Chances of a vehicle serial number being shown would be far greater in a registry than a membership roster, provided someone started and maintained one for Studebaker Avantis. Do you remember anyone asking you to submit information on your Avanti including the serial number? And if you were asked, did you cooperate and submit it? If so, you can hope someone will come forward who may have an old copy of Avanti registry data.

Club membership rosters don't usually state more than the year, model, and body style.

Craig
            AOAI Rosters do list Avantis by Serial Number. I now only have one old AOAI Roster and I am not even in that one (let alone one of my Avantis).

EDIT: When Avantis are sold, the Serial Number is often included in the ad/auction.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Gary; The serial # of your old '63 Avanti was 63R 3480.

The only thing I ask in return is that you never again correct my spelling or grammar...….or criticize my window price stickers.
              Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 01-05-2020, 01:37 AM.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                The only thing I ask in return is that you never again correct my spelling or grammar.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X