To Convert or not to Convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
    Check out the Cummins 2.8 liter diesel. There are many using them for a repower project. All computer controlled, and very clean emissions, with good power ratings.
    How much does that weigh?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
      Sounds great but what will you do with the antiqued planar front suspension and steering. Having owned 3 48 Commanders (2 door and 2 Land Cruisers) finding someone to align and do maintenance work may not be to bad in LA but still presents a situation with brakes as well as other things. The single leaf spring in the front suspension harks back to the horse and buggy day. What you do should be with the utmost concern for your safety and others on the road.

I guess I am a wet blanket, but unless you trust someone to do a correct and safe suspension graft and willing to pay for it then go gangbusters.

Bob Miles
      I had a fat man front suspension put in my CE. I like it with the ordinary springs a lot but if had to do over I'd either put in coil overs in front for easy adjustment of ride height or bags with a simple inflate point no pump.
      Last edited by t walgamuth; 12-31-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Here is a link to the Cummins repower 2.8. The specs say just over 500 lbs for weight.https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower

Comment

When someone ask my opinion on such a project, I ask them to write out a list of priorities:

1. What's the vehicle?
          2. What's the budget?
          3. What's the personal experience and capabilities?
          4. How important is maintaining originality and appearance?
          5. What are the performance and economy goals?
          6. How many times/miles a week?
          7. How important is fit/finish/interior/paint?

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Here is a link to the Cummins repower 2.8. The specs say just over 500 lbs for weight.https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower
            Forgive my ignorance, but how does that compare to the weight of a Commander 6?

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I just purchased a jeep grand cherokee w/ inline 6 and 2 wheel drive so I can use it for a powertrain transplant. If I come across a nice orphan brand car that has a nice body but a weak motor, I'm going to "modernize" it so it will be easier for Sonya to drive (she won't drive a clutch). A grand cherokee gets around 20mpg so should be able expect nearly the same in an older car.
              Mike Sal

Comment

not bad......I am guessing the six is around that weight or a bit heavier.

Comment

That Cummings 2.8 is almost exactly what I was hoping for as a diesel option! I'd say that my total budget for the retrofit would be 15k top end. I'm not looking to get into it anytime soon but thought it would be good to get some seasoned opinions ahead of any rabbit hole that one can get into on the "intrawebs".

Looking at the 3 options:

Rebuild - Lower budget & less of a headache but lower mileage
                  Cummings Re power- Bigger budget, More mileage & slightly cleaner
                  Electric - Highest cost, Most green + throwback stude move, lower range but LA county is Teslaville

Great food for thought and thank you all!

Comment

It has been my opinion for some time that the future of our hobby is adopting modern technologies to make our original engines better: fuel injection, electronic ignition, and better rebuilding techniques for example. We do plenty of fuel injection upgrades and they run so much better and cleaner. And the technology has come so far that every year they get simpler to install and run. Most of them today have self learning capability.

I can see that the next coming thing will be electric conversions. Right now they are still a gimmick because battery technology is still not where it needs to be to satisfy most people. But, it will be getting there, and I believe, soon. And there are already companies that are designing and building electric motors shaped like gas engines that will be pretty close to a physical bolt in.

I am a diehard internal combustion engine guy. There’s nothing like the various sounds you get from them. But I also think electric conversions will be a good thing as well. Whatever keeps these rolling pieces of artwork on the road!
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Youngstudedude View Post
                      That Cummings 2.8 is almost exactly what I was hoping for as a diesel option! I'd say that my total budget for the retrofit would be 15k top end. I'm not looking to get into it anytime soon but thought it would be good to get some seasoned opinions ahead of any rabbit hole that one can get into on the "intrawebs".

Looking at the 3 options:

Rebuild - Lower budget & less of a headache but lower mileage
                      Cummings Re power- Bigger budget, More mileage & slightly cleaner
                      Electric - Highest cost, Most green + throwback stude move, lower range but LA county is Teslaville

Great food for thought and thank you all!
                      I would take the first option off the table, you just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The lil six may have been up to the chore 70 years ago, but nothing you can do to it will make it up to today's chore. Also, agree with others in upgrading suspension, steering and brakes to match any motor that makes the car capable of performance that exceeds it's original abilities. A modern, small, low powered motor, gas or diesel, would be my pick.

Comment

Working...
                      X