This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-Bay trickery

I was perusing e-bay ads this morning and came across a '57 Golden Hawk with an opening bid of $750.00. This is the preview picture that appeared:

However, this is the car that he is actually selling:

[xx(]
    [xx(]

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Gary: Don't be too hard on our buddy Lee selling this car. I was instrumental in his buying the estate that included this car. There was considerable effort (miles, days, wintertime extraction from a cold-storage building where it had been for years) put forth getting the car accumulated to the point you see it here...not to mention straightening out the paperwork. As opposed to robbing parts from this car, Lee added parts from his stash to make it more complete than it was when we picked it up. [:0]

It is a genuine, original-engine 1957 Golden Hawk. I've seen a lot worse projects resurrected without their original engines, and, as Lee says, the engine does turn and has never apparently been stuck; it might even run with a little effort! That's a big plus. The miles shown could be right.

Golden Hawks will likely remain the pinnacle of postwar Studebaker collector cars, so if the effort is to be put forth restoring a postwar Studebaker, one of them is the one to restore. Lee really will sell this to the highest bidder without reserve (or shills!), and he has a 100% Feedback Rating. What more could fellow hobbyists ask?

(As to his e-bay presentation: Even the worst fishermen use the most attractive bait they can find in their tackle box...and Lee has a lot of bait!!! Bait Supreme, you might say...oops, that would be BS...[:0]) [^] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Gary: Don't be too hard on our buddy Lee selling this car. I was instrumental in his buying the estate that included this car. There was considerable effort (miles, days, wintertime extraction from a cold-storage building where it had been for years) put forth getting the car accumulated to the point you see it here...not to mention straightening out the paperwork. As opposed to robbing parts from this car, Lee added parts from his stash to make it more complete than it was when we picked it up. [:0]

It is a genuine, original-engine 1957 Golden Hawk. I've seen a lot worse projects resurrected without their original engines, and, as Lee says, the engine does turn and has never apparently been stuck; it might even run with a little effort! That's a big plus. The miles shown could be right.

Golden Hawks will likely remain the pinnacle of postwar Studebaker collector cars, so if the effort is to be put forth restoring a postwar Studebaker, one of them is the one to restore. Lee really will sell this to the highest bidder without reserve (or shills!), and he has a 100% Feedback Rating. What more could fellow hobbyists ask?

(As to his e-bay presentation: Even the worst fishermen use the most attractive bait they can find in their tackle box...and Lee has a lot of bait!!! Bait Supreme, you might say...oops, that would be BS...[:0]) [^] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm sure Lee is an honest guy, and only means well, but his use of that "what this car COULD look like" photo as the thumbnail photo and the first large photo in the listing could spell trouble for him. I predict that everyone who clicks on his listing after seeing a perfect looking Golden Hawk will feel as Guido did - shocked and somewhat tricked into looking at the listing.

Imagine you were single and in the market for a new "love of your life", so you sign up with an online dating service. You see a set of photos of potential "sweeties", and you click on this particular pretty young thing's photo, only to find it was taken 30 years ago!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I'm sure Lee is an honest guy, and only means well, but his use of that "what this car COULD look like" photo as the thumbnail photo and the first large photo in the listing could spell trouble for him. I predict that everyone who clicks on his listing after seeing a perfect looking Golden Hawk will feel as Guido did - shocked and somewhat tricked into looking at the listing.

Imagine you were single and in the market for a new "love of your life", so you sign up with an online dating service. You see a set of photos of potential "sweeties", and you click on this particular pretty young thing's photo, only to find it was taken 30 years ago!

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I have no problem with Lee's efforts to save the car. However, he chose a picture of something other than the vehicle being sold for the ad. As Paul says, he could use that picture to represent how the vehicle COULD look, but do not use it to represent the vehicle that is being sold.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

I have no problem with Lee's efforts to save the car. However, he chose a picture of something other than the vehicle being sold for the ad. As Paul says, he could use that picture to represent how the vehicle COULD look, but do not use it to represent the vehicle that is being sold.

Comment

Lee maybe honest but that picture use seems deceptive to me.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Lee maybe honest but that picture use seems deceptive to me.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

I'd call it marketing, not trickery. I've seen sellers show a picture of of cute girl to sell a car part to get your interest and no one thought they were buying the girl. Sure, he baited you to take a closer look, but it worked.
                    He might have added a disclaimer saying "This is what the car could look like", but I don't think anyone would think they were buying the restored car for $750 with all the other pictures and accurate description.

JDP
                    Arnold Md.
                    Studebaker On The Net
                    http://stude.com
                    My Ebay Items
                    http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 Daytona HT
                    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                    63 Avanti R1/AC
                    63 Lark 2 dr.
                    62 Lark 2 door
                    60 Hawk
                    52 Starlight
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

I'd call it marketing, not trickery. I've seen sellers show a picture of of cute girl to sell a car part to get your interest and no one thought they were buying the girl. Sure, he baited you to take a closer look, but it worked.
                      He might have added a disclaimer saying "This is what the car could look like", but I don't think anyone would think they were buying the restored car for $750 with all the other pictures and accurate description.

JDP
                      Arnold Md.
                      Studebaker On The Net
                      http://stude.com
                      My Ebay Items
                      http://www.stude.com/EBAY/

64 Daytona HT
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      63 Avanti R1/AC
                      63 Lark 2 dr.
                      62 Lark 2 door
                      60 Hawk
                      52 Starlight
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Didn't fool me for a min. But it sure got me to look. Good marketing.
                        Klif

55 Speedster
                        42 Champ Coupe
                        55 Speedster/Street Machine
                        63 Avanti R2
                        64 Convertible R1

Comment

Didn't fool me for a min. But it sure got me to look. Good marketing.
                          Klif

55 Speedster
                          42 Champ Coupe
                          55 Speedster/Street Machine
                          63 Avanti R2
                          64 Convertible R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP
                            Arnold Md.
                            Lee has already amended his listing-
                            "Apparently, there are some out there who think I am using deception and trickery in this advertisment. Just to make sure everyone out there is clear on this auction, the picture of the beautifully restored 1957 Golden Hawk is NOT the car you are buying. It is simply a representation of what the car shown in the other 23 could look like after restoration.
                            If you honestly thought you could buy that car for a $750 starting bid, with no reserve, I want to take the same meds you are!
                            Thanks again for looking and if you have any questions about the car, feel free to contact me."

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP
                              Arnold Md.
                              Lee has already amended his listing-
                              "Apparently, there are some out there who think I am using deception and trickery in this advertisment. Just to make sure everyone out there is clear on this auction, the picture of the beautifully restored 1957 Golden Hawk is NOT the car you are buying. It is simply a representation of what the car shown in the other 23 could look like after restoration.
                              If you honestly thought you could buy that car for a $750 starting bid, with no reserve, I want to take the same meds you are!
                              Thanks again for looking and if you have any questions about the car, feel free to contact me."

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X