Mecum Auction - Kansas City. MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum Auction - Kansas City. MO

At this week's Mecum Auction in Kansas City, MO, lot no. S123.1, a 1950 Champion Starlight (called a "Starlite"), sold at No Reserve for $8500.
    Last edited by studegary; 12-08-2019, 08:40 AM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I've not kept up with values in a while, but if it works as good as it looks, I think it was very well bought.

Andy
    62 GT

Comment

This car is now in the hands of a dealer in Colorado. Was up for sale on EBAY for $24,500, a no sale. It's now on Hemmings for the same price.

Comment

You would think these sales would better inform dealers about the values of Studebakers.
        Studebaker owners all want our values to skyrocket, at least until we have to replace or repair what we've got.
        For years we've praised the affordability of our favorite marque.
        There ARE some models worthy of speculation but, for the most part, ours are for shear enjoyment.
        Last edited by rockne10; 12-10-2019, 11:58 AM.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

They are looking for that one guy looking for that exact model in that condition. They can afford to sit on it until they come close. You can always come down but not up so shoot for the moon and see what happens.

Comment

Pretty nice looking car!
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              You would thinks these sales would better inform dealers about the values of Studebakers.
              Studebaker owners all want our values to skyrocket, at least until we have to replace or repair what we've got.
              For years we've praised the affordability of our favorite marque.
              There ARE some models worthy of speculation but, for the most part, ours are for shear enjoyment.
              You are so correct. People seem to want it both ways: they don’t want to pay anything when they buy, then lament that Studebakers aren’t worth more… Then expect to get Chevy money when they sell.

The thing that brought me to Studebakers in the first place way back when was that you could get an old car without having to commit to a fortune. As a bonus, they were odd and quirky. And as I went on to learn the story of Studebaker, I fell in love with that aspect of it. That added up to fun cars that could be bought cheap and enjoyed without worry.

maybe that’s another side of being a CASO: you think every Studebaker is rare and worth a fortune… Except when you’re buying.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I don't blame the guy for flipping it. If I could buy a car that nice for that cheap, I'd be flipping it too.
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  As a bonus, they were odd and quirky.
                  What is 'odd' and 'quirky' about them? A Studebaker is NOT an Isetta.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel Face View Post
                    This car is now in the hands of a dealer in Colorado. Was up for sale on EBAY for $24,500, a no sale. It's now on Hemmings for the same price.
                    Are you sure that it is in that order (listing after Mecum sale)? It just sold at Mecum in the last few days. Perhaps it was that dealer unloading it, not buying it for resale.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is no longer on Hemmings.

Comment

Working...
                      X