No announcement yet.

Champ engine disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if the engine number matched, that does not guarantee it is the original engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

This is exactly true. I have compiled a list of engine casting date codes for Studebakers from the 1920s to 1964. I can provide that to anyone who asks.
      -Dwight
      I might note some numbers, if you wouldn't mind checking them for me.

Thanks,
      Mike
      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

I feel your pain about numbers matching however my Dad and I found a forlorn '63/4 Champ in a farmer's field. It had an anemic 6 cyl. in it which we beat to death. We found a rot bucket late Champ with a V-8 and T-85 OD. We never looked back! The truck now has factory A/C, power steering and soon power brakes from a late Lark. Our thought was to build it the way we would have bought it when new. The truck looks and drives better than new and is safer. All parts used were period correct Stude parts. The only incorrect part is the exhaust -duals from Don Simmons for the AFB to breathe. Once your truck is back on the road you'll appreciate it more regardless of the engine. The point is that it's back on the road for you and others to enjoy. My Dad is no longer here but I feel he is with us when taking the truck and his Avanti out for some exercise. I hope you feel the same way.
        Rob in PA.

Comment

Rob is pretty modest about how well his Dad's truck looks - this is that same truck at the AACA museum in Hershey, PA, for the big Studebaker exhibit.

Comment

Wow, that Champ is drop dead Gorgeous! They just don't get much better, perfect or correct than that.
            It even has the would have been 1965, never factory installed, "Studebaker" embossed Deluxe Grille!

The only thing I would have done different is the move the Radio Antenna to the correct side, easy to fix BEFORE restoration, not so much After.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 12-21-2019, 01:19 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That is a very nice looking Champ! Thanks for the information on it Rob, and thanks for the photo 62champ!
              Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post

I might note some numbers, if you wouldn't mind checking them for me.

Thanks,
                Mike
                PM sent. Also, I will look up any numbers for anyone, for any year Studebaker back to the twenties..
                -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

PM sent. Also, I will look up any numbers for anyone, for any year Studebaker back to the twenties..
                  -Dwight
                  Dwight-
                  Are your casting number data in a form that they could be added to the "Resources" section of the SDC home page? Seems like these questions come up pretty frequently and your info would be a useful addition to the archive.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post

Dwight-
                    Are your casting number data in a form that they could be added to the "Resources" section of the SDC home page? Seems like these questions come up pretty frequently and your info would be a useful addition to the archive.
                    Yes, the info consists of text & tables in a Word 2007 document, and has been converted to PDF. What's my next step to add it to the Resources section of the SDC home page?
                    -Dwight

Comment

Dwight-
                      Good. Dunno for sure. Suggest you contact Clark. He can point you in the right direction. Or use the "contact us" box down at the bottom.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        Dwight-
                        Good. Dunno for sure. Suggest you contact Clark. He can point you in the right direction. Or use the "contact us" box down at the bottom.
                        I'll check into it.
                        -Dwight

Comment

Dwight, were you able to get the casting date codes added to the Resources page? Over the past few days I've been working with a gentleman who contacted me outside the Forum and requested my help identifying the year/displacement of a 6-cylinder engine in his 1947 Willys that he was told was a Studebaker. I did a lot of searching through the Forum, and I believe I now know how to read the casting date codes. I even created a document for myself so I could refer to it (got it done before I found this thread), but it would have been a lot easier had I not had to reinvent the wheel.
                          Mark L

Comment

Working...
                          X