Champ engine disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ engine disappointment

Well, some disappointing news. The engine in our '61 Champ does not match the production order engine serial number. Our engine starts with a P, where as the production order specifies a 3E. My dad doesn't recall swapping engines, and I find it hard to believe someone would have swapped engines after my dad sold it, as the front end was never right (Jeep 4wd). And he didn't remember it having a 4 bbl, so maybe he was on to something. Production order doesn't spec a 4 bbl either. So the engine got swapped somewhere I guess. I guess too my dream of having the pickup back to original as possible, isn't really going to happen.

But, though we are a little bummed, we will continue trying to restore it.
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

While we understand you wanted to make it as original as possible, don't make a big thing of an engine swap. One Studebaker V8 block is pretty much like another. The different serial number is no more important than you make it.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

And tagging along with what Jack said, I would not be too terribly concerned about it being "correct" either. The value of a totally restored to better than perfect Stude Champ pickup will not return any of the investment even in your grandchildrens lifetime. Build it and enjoy it. Besides, you now have a 4bbl 289 instead of a 259. Add dual exhaust and you should enjoy a nice bump in HP and torque. The Studebaker engineers did not always do it right. Sometimes they built for pure economy of construction.
      sals54

Comment

What Jack said.
        I do not believe even if it is a 400 Point SDC International Meet Class winner, that anyone will even try to match the Engine Serial Number to the Production Order, most people do not even have or bring one.

Since this Champ was built with a 259 Engine, it now has a more powerful 289 Engine from a Car than it had when new, it's a GOOD thing!
        It MAY even be a Late '63 or '64 Full Flow Oil Filter block.
        The truth be told, the ONLY difference between them (that matters anyway), is the 289 Crankshaft and the 289 Pistons.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Unless your Studebaker is an extremely rare model, or owned by a celebrity....
          Matching numbers means nothing.
          It might well be a sign that it was better cared for than one that not been swapped.
          Don't sweat it. Make it better. Drive it and enjoy it.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I will second all the comments above. My '61 Champ had an engine swap before I bought it. The new engine is still a 259 but was built by one of the best Studebaker engine builders here in Oregon out in Boring. I wish they had put a 289 in it but I did upgrade it to a 4-bbl and she runs really well.
            You are well on your way to having a wonderful truck that will be fun to drive and will attract lots of attention. So, don't sweat the small stuff and put on a smile.
            I hope we meet down the road soon.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I was hoping to restore the pickup back to its Oregon State Police days. And I guess we still could, as few would know of the differences. But on the other hand, its so far removed from being like it was, leaning towards making it more what we'd like, per your guy's suggestions. Thanks again for the comments, we really appreciate it.

Mike
              Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Although.... be prepared for every one of us to casually wander over to your truck at a show, glance briefly at the motor, and say to anyone within earshot, "Oh, that's a 289. That wouldn't have come stock in this model."

Seriously, though, making it as close to original as possible doesn't mean every bolt. It means a reasonable attempt doing what's best for the vehicle AND what's best for you, the driver/owner. Everyone here appreciates that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
                  Thanks for the support and suggestions. I was hoping to restore the pickup back to its Oregon State Police days. And I guess we still could, as few would know of the differences. But on the other hand, its so far removed from being like it was, leaning towards making it more what we'd like, per your guy's suggestions. Thanks again for the comments, we really appreciate it.

Mike
                  Or, you could do what most do. Smoothly, grind off the engine number and stamp the original number into it....

Seriously though, it really doesn't matter. Only us diehard purists would even bother to look at, or be able to tell the engine wasn't the original. Build it to as close to original as you can, if that is really what your heart wants.

The thing you will have to get used to is that you will spend more money then it is worth trying to make it into a show piece. On the other hand, build the thing the way you want to drive it, make improvements that best suite what your going to be doing with it. Enjoy the thing while there's still time. Remember our esteemed intellectual left thinkers have mandated an end to gas by 2032.

Bo
                  Bo

Comment

Mike,
                    Oregon State POLICE???
                    In that case put a Factory Paxton on it and have the hottest Champ around and tell tales about it's interceptor days in the 60's! We all like a good story when it comes to our cars (trucks)and you would surely impress everyone at the shows.
                    Luck with whatever you decide, just enjoy the heck out of it.
                    Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post

Or, you could do what most do. Smoothly, grind off the engine number and stamp the original number into it....
                      If "most" of the folks you know do that, you apparently carouse with an entirely different crowd than anyone I know.
                      Seriously! No one with a Studebaker would do such a thing unless they were cloning an extremely rare example.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I believe a 289 was an option in the 1961 Champ Trucks. So casually identifying it as non-stock would be incorrect. Just telling the difference between the two engines at a casual glance would not be easy either.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                          I believe a 289 was an option in the 1961 Champ Trucks. So casually identifying it as non-stock would be incorrect. Just telling the difference between the two engines at a casual glance would not be easy either.
                          Yes. Eddie is correct. The 289 was nearly always available as an option -- and Studebaker would have built a truck with one for a cash customer even if it wasn't listed as an option.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rTruckData.asp
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            If "most" of the folks you know do that, you apparently carouse with an entirely different crowd than anyone I know.
                            Seriously! No one with a Studebaker would do such a thing unless they were cloning an extremely rare example.
                            You'd be surprised how many trailer queens out there that aren't sporting their original engines......

Bo
                            Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post

You'd be surprised how many trailer queens out there that aren't sporting their original engines......

Bo
                              I'm sure; but it would be an incredibly rare Studebaker owner who would bother; trailer queen or not.
                              Grinding down engine numbers and stamping new ones runs more in the 'Vette, GTO, 4-4-2 and Porsche crowds than with Studebakers.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                              X