Making donations when renewing SDC membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making donations when renewing SDC membership

Each year I send in one or more donations with my SDC renewal. But there doesn't seem to be an explanation anywhere easy to locate as to what the four donation options listed on the renewal form are for. I understand the "Studebaker National Foundation", and I was able to locate good information on that. I'm assuming that the SDC Museum Capital Cost Fund is like a general donation to the museum (please educate me if I'm wrong). What specifically is the SDC Restoration Fund and what does this support? Finally, what is the difference between the Studebaker National Foundation and the Studebaker National Museum Foundation? I want to contribute, but would like to know what I'm contributing to. It would have been nice if the blank back of the membership renewal form had a one or two paragraph explanation of each of the donation options.
    Fosco
    Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

It is obvious to me that the SDC Restoration Fund is for Repairs, Maintenance or Restoration of "Some" Vehicles in the Museum, but I am like you; exactly what Cars does the SDC Plan to contribute to for WHAT?

They also have the "Adopt-A-Car" Donation that goes DIRECTLY to the Museum not through SDC, where you alone basically "Own" the Maintenance of a certain Car for a given large amount.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It appears that the Museum, like Lucy of TV fame, have got some "Splaining to do" if they want donations.
      peter lee

Comment

The donations to the museum and foundation are tax-deductible, while those to SDC itself are not -- which is why they are listed separately. The museum capital cost fund is used to buy long-term assets, like the museum truck and trailer that are used to haul cars to shows. The vehicle restoration fund is used to restore museum-owned vehicles. Every year the museum sends a want list to the SDC board, and the board chooses what it wants to fund with the money on hand.

Every year there is a report of board actions during the previous year. They usually indicate where the board spent these dollars.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thank you Skip. That explains a lot.
          Fosco
          Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

Comment

The Studebaker National Foundation gives several $1500 scholarships per year to students attending schools offering restoration or mechanical training. Some have been awarded to students perusing an engineering degree. Subscriptions to Turning Wheels are also given to school libraries. All donations are tax deductible.

Denny Lockmon
            Board member

Comment

The Studebaker National Foundation gives several $1500 scholarships per year to students attending schools offering restoration or mechanical training.
              To be given, they must first be requested - and it's my understanding many students don't even know they are available.

The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It is difficult to find students to apply. We continue to try and find rrecipiants.

Denny

Comment

"The donations to the museum and foundation are tax-deductible, while those to SDC itself are not -- which is why they are listed separately. The museum capital cost fund is used to buy long-term assets, like the museum truck and trailer that are used to haul cars to shows. The vehicle restoration fund is used to restore museum-owned vehicles. Every year the museum sends a want list to the SDC board, and the board chooses what it wants to fund with the money on hand.

Every year there is a report of board actions during the previous year. They usually indicate where the board spent these dollars."

Skip's explanation is spot on. Each category has a different function. The SDC controls both the Restoration and Capital Cost Funds and once a year the SNM requests funds from the SDC for specific projects. SNM Foundation is the museum's endowment fund used whwn necessary to cover expenses of the museum when necessary or when unexpected and/or unplanned/budgeted expenses occur. Thanks Skip.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                  X