‘51 Champion startup vid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘51 Champion startup vid

Found this on YouTube and thought I’d share. I love these vids where people bring old rides back to life! Fellow has tons of these; seems like he knows what he’s doing - latest startup was a 1927 Franklin that had been in a barn for 70 years

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Good find, Clark!
    He covered a lot of ground in terms understandable to the layman.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

There are a couple more followup vids that show it with a rebuilt carb, running up and down the property's access road. Fun to watch!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

mark

Comment

That's JonathanW. I subscribe to his YouTube channel. In a later video he makes (sews) an all new interior; headliner, seat covers, door panels for that 51. Turns out pretty good. He also has a 56J project with a Packard 352. And, some might say, too many other cars/projects. He seems to take a project so far, then shifts his attention to something else. He probably has 30-40 "first start" videos. Very knowledgeable guy with lots of hands-on experience.

Comment

Reminds me of when I bought my '54 Champion back in 1996. The car had sat dormant since 1966. My friend and I got it started and I was surprised how good it ran. It was fun to see all the rust and who knows what else blow out of what was left of the exhaust system when it fired up.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank54 View Post
              That's JonathanW. I subscribe to his YouTube channel. In a later video he makes (sews) an all new interior; headliner, seat covers, door panels for that 51. Turns out pretty good. He also has a 56J project with a Packard 352. And, some might say, too many other cars/projects. He seems to take a project so far, then shifts his attention to something else. He probably has 30-40 "first start" videos. Very knowledgeable guy with lots of hands-on experience.
              Yeah, now I'm working my way through the rest of the series (like I have time on my hands or something ). It's fun to watch because he has a very methodical approach to sussing out what's wrong and fixing it. I watched the one where he troubleshot the Champion's overdrive solenoid and relay last night. I might never have a car with OD, but the process was good to learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                Reminds me of when I bought my '54 Champion back in 1996. The car had sat dormant since 1966. My friend and I got it started and I was surprised how good it ran. It was fun to see all the rust and who knows what else blow out of what was left of the exhaust system when it fired up.
                Had a somewhat similar experience with a '51 V8 that hadn't run for about 20 years. Had the hood off and prepped everything before starting. Had a gas line hooked up and primed the carb with an ounce of fuel and battery cables attached. It fired immediately and that became a problem, since the oil pressure broke off the old original flex line to the gage and sprayed oil up on my garage ceiling and every other place before I could pull the wire off the distributor to kill it. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the mess. Funny now, but not then.

Comment

I've got a 58 Transtar Automatic truck I'd like to take him to see what's going on with it. I'm thinking carb, but who know.s....

did you notice the wooden wheel car in the background? I'd love to have something like that.

Comment

HOXXOH, good story! Yeah I was lucky, looking back on it. While it was first running, I noticed that the water pump was leaking fairly profusely, but we didn't run it a real long time initially. It smoked some at first but the second time we ran it the smoke had pretty much disappeared. I had a carb that the previous owner had given me that looked to be in good shape so I bolted that on before startup. Although the engine ran good, it would break up when i tried to give it gas. Then soon after, I took the carb to someone to have rebuilt and they told me that someone had robbed the accelerator pump from it. That explained a lot.

Comment

Back in '03 I bought a '50 Chevy pickup that had '76 license plates. The original 216 was stuck, but not too bad. For about 2 weeks each day I poured a little penetrating oil in each cylinder. Finally I could turn the motor by hand. During that time I was doing some other things getting ready to start it. A new battery and a temporary gas can and it fired right off. Really ran great too. That's a good feeling to get an old neglected motor running again.
                      I would like to do it again sometime.

Comment

Working...
                      X