New Title Needed -suggestions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Title Needed -suggestions??

I have a '54 that was last registered in CA in '68. It's out of DMV's computer but I have no title for it. Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with these companies that issue new titles for older cars? What documentation is needed?

I read one site that said the process involves them purchasing the car from you, having the DMV issue a clean title in their companies name, and then they sell the car back to you. Seems kinda fishy to me...

http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

One method involves somebody owning and better yet registering the car in a state that does not use titles, like Maine. Then the Mainiac sells you the car, and your state will honor the lack of title. For a company to do something similar they would have to own the car for a few minutes or days. I'm not saying that outfit is legit, just that "no title" sales are somewhat of a big deal to register.

Comment

Not fishy at all. I've used Broadway Title a dozen times. The bad news is they don't do California titles as I recall.

JDP/Maryland
      "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
      Thomas Jefferson
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Go to a Ca. DMV and ask for paper work so that you can do a Vin Verification and that you want title only. Then, You can take your car to DMV for vin verification or have CHP come to your home to verify your ven. number. Its great if you have a friend who is a chp or sheriff. Where are you located? I am going through what your are doing. Also, you can get a production order that tell DMV what it is. You need to order that from Studebaker Museum Archives. There number is 574-235-9983 ext. 226

Comment

I hear of many people that that have used Broadway Title in Ala. to do this with good results. It is a process that goes like this. You sell them your car on paper with a bill of sale. They register it in Ala. in their name and get registration and all the Ala. legal paperwork(no title per say,Ala. does not issue titles). Then they sell the car back to you at the same price and send you the paperwork. You then go down to your local DMV and apply for title to a car you bought out of state. The only drawback I have heard of is if your state will not accept that states paperwork. They have a web site that tells you what states accepts their paperwork. I hear of many people that have used them with no problems. Go to their web site and read. Good luck. Just to add I am NOT suggesting or reccommending anyone or anything. Buyer beware.

Comment

I'm not saying you should do this,but I can get a title in Md with a bill of sale from a friend in a non title state without spending a dime.

JDP/Maryland
            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
            Thomas Jefferson
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Here's my situation:

I've had this car for some years now. I purchased it from a forum member in AZ without title. He had purchased the car out of CA from the last documented registered owner without title. The car does have original CA black plates, and I have a copy of the '68 registration showing the identification number, but unfortunately it appears they used the engine serial number and not the VIN plate number.

I spoke with a friend at the CA DMV today who said normally in a situation like this they would inspect the car in person to verify the VIN. The problem is the car is really nothing more than a body and frame and pile of parts -and the original engine is now long gone. He said if the car was more complete it probably wouldn't be a problem.

I'm trying to acquire a new title because I'm selling the car to a guy in Texas -and I'd like to get this all squared away so he doesn't have to deal with the mess.

So it sounds like my best option would be to contact one of these title service companies and see what all they can do.

Royaldez -I'm in Chico

Comment

I had a friend go through this recently and he was issued a title by posting a surety bond. It won't work if you plan to sell the vehicle shortly, but for a car you plan to keep, it provides a way to get a title in all states I believe.

I was told that after a time period (unknown to me) that the title is assured and the bond released.

Bob

, ,

Comment

I've used one of the title services here in Washington. I was told by several people that Washington didn't honor the Alabama titles through these services, but International Title Services told me they had done many titles in Washington. I had no problems getting a Washington Title with the Alabama title from International.

I would say the easiest route is through California DMV/Highway Patrol. I lived in California for the last 20 years and never had a problem getting a title for an old car there. The CHP came out to my house, verified the VIN, filled out the forms...we shot the $hit about old cars for a while and I had everything I needed to title the car. As long as you tell the story exactly how it is (somehow those CHP guys are pretty good at smelling a liar [^]), they are on your side. More revenue for the state.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

State of California gives you 3 years and if no fees are payed the vehicle is dropped from the computers. Some of the older stuff is in the archives in Sacramento. But when I went there a couple of years ago they told me they had a fire in their Micro-Flich area and a lot of things before 85 were destroyed. That and since 9-11 you have to know Arnold to get in there.

Comment

In some states, you just CAN'T get a title. But in California, you can just tell them that you bought it a long time ago and lost the title after you had put it in your name. It helps to be a triple A member and go in there and have them help you. (at least that's what I HEARD...)

Comment

I just went through this in California. It has to be a complete rolling car. They will inspect it and provide a title as long as vin is clear on the system. They will not verify an incomplete car as technically it doesnt meet the states requirement to declare it a car. You can sell what you have with a bill of sale. If you do a search on the name Lucy, you'll find what I went through. My suggestion, if its incomplete, sell with a bill of sale as its much easier in other states.

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions/advise. I'm still not sure what to do...

I went to CHP today, and they said they only inspect vehicles on site.

63larkcustom has corroborated what my friend told me at the CA DMV -that the car really needs to be complete in order for them to put it back in the system. I was told that it needs to have seats, glass, bumpers, etc. I probably should have done this when it first arrived, prior to pulling and stripping the body

I'll let you all know what I'm able to work out in the end.

On a side note, I was also told that my Avanti (which has a IL title) will have to be inspected before the title can be transfered/issued in my name. For some reason I thought inspections were done prior to registration not prior to re-titling.

Also, technically speaking once an out of state car hits the road here in CA you have 20 days to do a change of ownership before they penalize you. I purchased the Avanti a few years ago and had it trucked to my shop where it has been stored, As long as I fill out and file a "Statement of Fact" stating that the car was transported in and stored off the street -I will not be responsible for any penalties/back fees. Ahh, the good 'ole DMV

Comment

Working...
                          X