Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is most Important: Value, History, Personal Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thunderations
    replied
    Personal enjoyment supersedes all other reasons. It's a car hobby more than a demand for perfection or documentation.
    If you enjoy doing what you're doing, go with it. If it seems like a chore, quit doing it unless it's your business, then it's not a hobby anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Since you asked. I always consider condition first a vehicle's historical value. If the truck has been altered, is not stock, or has to be restored, it just has lost it's appeal as a artifact. Regardless if you can't figure it out yourself, or aren't going to finish the project best to leave it for the next guy, before you irrevocably mess it up. Let it be clear I couldn't care less what you do with the truck, just try not to turn it into a pile of parts, by not completing the project.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    If the previous owner wanted so badly to keep it stock, as it's soooo rare, which it's not, he should have restored it and donated it to a museum.
    Do whatever you want to it. It's yours. Just putting it back on the road will do more to get the Studebaker name out there than restoring it and keeping it hidden in the garage for the next buyer to take it out and modify it for his own taste.
    Drive the wheels off it. Do burnouts. Do donuts with lots of smelly tire smoke. Get a ticket for drag racing some dope in a BMW. Have fun.
    This is what I'm doing to an extremely rare and valuable masterpiece of Studebaker design. Just cuz I wanna.... cuz it's mine... I'm having fun.
    I'll let the next guy restore it and keep it in a museum.
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5493.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	1806545
    Looks pretty nice without fenders!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill-W View Post
    /Cut/I would like to here from more experienced owners. Am I loosing value or destroying history to get what I think is better? Thank You For Your Help! Bill
    I think this question is totally about the thoughts and opinions of the OWNER! No one else can help much.

If a "Car use" Truck is what you want, you will need to "Build" it from this one (a LOT of work) or buy a Short Bed 1/2 Ton.

PS: I think what you want is a 112 inch wheelbase, not 212!

Originally posted by spokejr View Post

/Cut/On the other hand, 3/4 and 1 ton Champs are not too common. Neither will be valuable though but that is one of the reasons no one worries about saving interesting ones./Cut/
    I don't think we need to worry about anyone ruining a Champ ONE TON, since the ONE Prototype that was built is likely LONG gone.

Last edited by StudeRich; 10-15-2019, 01:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Thanks Bill. Yeah. The fenders will be an off n on again thing. I had two different brackets made. One set mounts the nose only, while the other set mounts the fenders. It's a pretty easy swap back n forth, so I'll probably run it as seen above for awhile, then put the fenders on just for a transition. Only a few more details before it goes down the road. I'll post a video when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Hey Sal,
    She is coming together nicely. Are you going to use fenders? I like the stance and patina.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• spokejr
    replied
    Hi Bill. I see this from two different ways.

My libertarian agrees with Sal, your truck, your money, your time and effort.

On the otherhand, 3/4 and 1 ton Champs are not too common. Neither will be valuable though but that is one of the reasons no one worries about saving interesting ones. The 1/2 ton short beds are a lot thicker on the ground and will ride a lot better.

To make the changes you speak of is not a job to take lightly. Massive talent and determination will be needed to carry this through. A better solution might be to find a cab and front clip along with a S10 chassis. A common means to upgrade all the drivetrain as a cohesive unit.

Does the Champ currently run/drive? If so, you could probably fund your project by selling it. I wish I were currently in a position to make on offer on your truck, it sounds pretty interesting with the Packard engine swap, as is.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    & Studebaker built step side beds too & looks loads better on a Studebaker than a Chevy bed.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    If the previous owner wanted so badly to keep it stock, as it's soooo rare, which it's not, he should have restored it and donated it to a museum.
    Do whatever you want to it. It's yours. Just putting it back on the road will do more to get the Studebaker name out there than restoring it and keeping it hidden in the garage for the next buyer to take it out and modify it for his own taste.
    Drive the wheels off it. Do burnouts. Do donuts with lots of smelly tire smoke. Get a ticket for drag racing some dope in a BMW. Have fun.
    This is what I'm doing to an extremely rare and valuable masterpiece of Studebaker design. Just cuz I wanna.... cuz it's mine... I'm having fun.
    I'll let the next guy restore it and keep it in a museum.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5493.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	1806545
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sals54; 10-13-2019, 08:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    In stead of putting on a chevy bed I suggest shortening the champ bed.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Assuming that you are going to use it more as a car than as a truck to haul things, I would sell the 3/4 and buy a 1/2.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    If you have the Packard motor , then you are already not original. I do not believe that Champs will become valuable as collector cars. There does seem to be an uptick in the value of resto mods. So, as often said , your car your money.

Leave a comment:

• Which is most Important: Value, History, Personal Want?

I recently purchased a 1963 Long bed 3/4 ton Champ pickup. I like Studebaker's and own 2 others. I like: the Packard 352 engine, the auto transmission, the Camp cab, the patina on the paint. The 3/4 ton is OK. I dislike the long slab sided bed. I intended to shorten the frame to 212 inches, and put on a Chevy step sided bed.
    The past owner said I should not. destroy a 3/4 ton as they are rare. He suggested I buy a 1/2 ton and sell the 3/4 ton.
    I would like to here from more experienced owners. Am I loosing value or destroying history to get what I think is better? Thank You For Your Help! Bill
Working...
X