Blog post about the '56 Hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog post about the '56 Hawks

https://disaffectedmusings.com/2019/...-october-2019/ Click image for larger version

Name:	56 Sky Hawk-Ron Wakefield.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1806449

I agree with your sentiments about the Sky Hawk. Call me a heretic, but I never quite liked the chrome placement of the Golden Hawk (of any year). It looked not entirely thought out in my mind. This is in sharp contrast to my own GT Hawk. While it does have plenty of chrome trim, there is some sort of logic and order to its use.

Now, if anyone reading this happens to own a Golden Hawk, please note that I don't hate your car in any way. I'm just expressing my opinions on it.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
      I agree with your sentiments about the Sky Hawk. Call me a heretic, but I never quite liked the chrome placement of the Golden Hawk (of any year). It looked not entirely thought out in my mind. This is in sharp contrast to my own GT Hawk. While it does have plenty of chrome trim, there is some sort of logic and order to its use.

Now, if anyone reading this happens to own a Golden Hawk, please note that I don't hate your car in any way. I'm just expressing my opinions on it.

I'm curious what you find objectionable about the chrome placement on the GH. It's not significantly different than that of the Sky Hawk.

What I don't like is the ridiculous, out of place, light slapped on top of the front fender.
      sigpic

Comment

I gave my opinion at the end of the blog.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
          What I don't like is the ridiculous, out of place, light slapped on top of the front fender.
          FWIW, the parking light on the front fender is a salute/tribute to many classics of the thirties which had that feature.
          It could have been more extreme. This light is currently sold for motorcycles.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	7110075_A_V1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1806529
          jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

I am also a big fan of the '56 Sky Hawks. I much prefer the understated look of the rear end . . . it just looks cleaner to me . . .

Comment

For me, the continuous contour of the Bourke coupe's flanks is one of the most elegant forms on any automobile. By the time the eye follows the form past the cabin, the taper lends a lightness and feeling that the car has already moved through that space. I can only imagine how beautiful that car looked on the road where most others were driving potatoes.

The fins "square up" that sleek profile somewhat. Still, when parked next to most contemporaries of similar vintage, they still look less cartoonish.

That said, two of my favorite Hawks had fins. The white/tangerine '56 GH at Mansfield and a flamingo/white '61 at Long Beach (1996?) still glows in my memory.

Basically, the only way to make a Hawk look bad is to park it next to another one you prefer more. Next to about anything else American of similar vintage they are hard to beat.
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

I've owned 2 1956 Sky Hawks over the years and I wish that I had kept at least one of them. To me, they are about the best looking Hawks that Studebaker produced. Bud

Comment

To me the flowing lines were already broken up by squaring off the hood, and deck lid, so the fins on the Golden Hawk are some of the best ever produced by any manufacturer. I also like the ribbed lower moldings, and the wheel trim stainless. Looks much more luxurious than the Sky Hawks. (because they were)
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    To me the flowing lines were already broken up by squaring off the hood, and deck lid, so the fins on the Golden Hawk are some of the best ever produced by any manufacturer. I also like the ribbed lower moldings, and the wheel trim stainless. Looks much more luxurious than the Sky Hawks. (because they were)
                    Agree, Brad, but how we got this far without mentioning the Packard V8 setting the '56J ahead of the other three Hawks and everything else offered in 1956? The big guy being available only in the '56J ends the discussion for me.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Enjoying this discussion, as I recently procured a '56 Sky Hawk; my first Hawk in my half century of Studebakering.
                      Please continue!
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The Sky Hawk is lovely, no question about it. But it’s gotta be the Golden Hawk for me. The fins are understated, but I WANT the car to be flamboyant! One of the reasons I sold my awesome ‘64 R2 Daytona is because, wonderful as it was, few people noticed it when driving to the store. Driving a Chrome-laden Hawk to the store is like Moses parting the Red Sea: people notice. Period. Cars just don’t have chrome anymore! Sure, I suppose from a pure design perspective, the Sky Hawk is somewhat cleaner, but “cleaner” is not what I’m after! I don’t restore Studebakers to “blend in”.
                        And as Jack says— ad the awesome torque of the big, brawny Packard engine, and for me— well, it’s gotta be the Golden.
                        1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                        1951 Champion Business Coupe
                        1951 Commander Starlight
                        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                        1953 Champion Starlight
                        1953 Commander Starliner
                        1953 2R5
                        1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                        1957 Silver Hawk
                        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                        1959 Silver Hawk
                        1961 Hawk
                        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                        1963 Daytona Convertible
                        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                        1965 Cruiser
                        1970 Avanti

Comment

My 2 cents is for the 56 Sky Hawk...the most beautiful of all the Hawks. Understated classic design, and at my advanced years, plenty of power...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170502_145337.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1806799 I eliminated the front signal lights by using '63 Hawk side grills. I liked the Power Hawk two tone scheme. I also blacked out the grooves in the lower trim.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nicely done.

Do the '63 side grilles match the curve of the '56 hood? On my custom '56 Power Hawk, I had to use the '63-64 hood to mate up properly with the '64 side grilles.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X