Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Avanti frame the same as one for a ‘53,’54 coupe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

Does not need one on the Morrison frame.
    I think I'd want one.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
      I think I'd want one.
      Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK:
      Does not need one on the Morrison frame.
      Your car/truck, your money.
      He's an engineer and has sold hundreds, if not thousands of these chassis.
      Pay him to put an X-member in and he will.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It looks and sounds like you really want to spend some big money on this 53, I remember now when you got the 53 it had a trunk problem with hauler, also the Hudson 2 door with the Hemi, it is funny that every time I use crow canyon road and go past cold water dr. I think of you, I will swing by one of these days since I just sit around most of time if not at a doctors office.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          If memory serves me right (always suspect), even if their geometry is the same, somewhere I think I read that not even the 53 and 54 frames are the same? I'm thinking the '54 frame was made heavier/stronger than the '53? ​​
          I've never actually measured the thickness of any '53 - '64 C/K chassis. But have discussed the topic, several times with some who have been involved with studes, for most of their lives. As I understand it, both the '53 and '54 frames themselves are the same. Except for the lack of the batwing cross member, on the '53s. That wasn't introduced until '54. '53 and '54 Champion frames were made of lighter gauge steel, than those that were used for the Commanders. From '55 on, the lighter gauge chassis's, were no longer used, on anything. Other than the upgraded front sway bar mounts. The elimination of two body bolts. The changes made to the rear springs, hangers, and shackle mounts. I wasn't aware of any other differences, between the '62 - '64 chassis's and the earlier ones? Was there more?

Mark
          Last edited by S2Deluxe; 10-10-2019, 10:07 AM.
          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

If the -54 Commander frame is harder(?)/stronger than the Champion frame then would a Champion frame bend by having a V8, after a while..? The reason I'm asking is because my friends Champion has a V8 waiting...
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
              If the -54 Commander frame is harder(?)
              There shouldn't be any difference in hardness?
              /stronger than the Champion frame
              Yes, the additional thickness adds additional strength and weight.
              then would a Champion frame bend by having a V8, after a while..?
              I'd imagine you'd notice, the most significant change, immediately following installation? With changes in the alignment of the front end sheet metal, and doors. It will continue to worsen gradually, but not detrimentally, if it isn't abused excessively. Assuming no rust, or impact damage. This should be most significant in the K bodies, less so in the C bodies, and least in the W, F, and '54 D bodies successively.
              The reason I'm asking is because my friends Champion has a V8 waiting...
              People have been installing V8s in Champions, from almost the very beginning! It's been done many times, with varying degrees of success. Although, there are a few that have been quite successful, I would suspect that the majority of those, that have attempted it? Have realized more regrets, than satisfaction!

I wish both, you and your friend, as much luck as possible!

Mark
              Last edited by S2Deluxe; 10-13-2019, 06:38 PM.
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Okidoki, gotta think of a way to stiffen it then... It's at least a Starlight so maby most of the bending will be by the bulkhead..? That could ofcourse be strengthend pretty easy. Thanx for the answer!

sigpic

Josephine
                Champion V8
                4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Chopit View Post
                  I’d like to stay away from Morrison as they are extremely proud of what the make. Like real proud.
                  Remember the line from that old commercial, "Pay me now or pay me later."?

You're going to spend a lot of effort, skill and time to build a very special car for a very special lady in your life.

Don't be a begrudger. Spending money for a premium base will save you time and energy that can be used to build a premium car.

Comment

Okidoki, gotta think of a way to stiffen it then... It's at least a Starlight so maby most of the bending will be by the bulkhead..? That could ofcourse be strengthend pretty easy. Thanx for the answer!
                    We put a Chevy 350 in our '53 Champion coupe over 30 years ago (the 6 is still in the back yard) , the only change we made to the frame was to add the "bat wing" crossmember. Been driving it hard ever since with NO problems, and no more flexing than with the 6. In fact the V8 didn't even lower the front of the car, so the stock 6 and trans must weigh pretty close to the same as the Chevy 350 and TH350.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've got a MoPar sb in Josephine, not nuch heavier than the six & lighter than a Chevy sb, but this is a Studebaker V8 that's going in = might be about 100 pounds more.
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

I've got a MoPar sb in Josephine, not nuch heavier than the six & lighter than a Chevy sb, but this is a Studebaker V8 that's going in = might be about 100 pounds more.
                        The Stude V8 is 200lbs heavier than the Chevy 350. Way bigger too. Stude 725lbs, Chevy 525lbs.

The Mopar "LA" V8 engine (273-318-340) is also 525lbs. The small block Ford is about 20lbs lighter.
                        Last edited by bensherb; 10-15-2019, 08:56 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don'r know if it makes a difference what list you're looking at, I'm seeing Studebaker 289: 650
                          60-70's Chevy: 575
                          MoPar 273-340: 525.
                          http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights2.html
                          sigpic

Josephine
                          Champion V8
                          4d sedan

Comment

Some Avanti parts are inter-changeable with a 53 frame

Bill Foy
                            1000 Islands, Ontario
                            1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                            X