Lark front grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark front grill

Looking at photos of Larks and i noticed the grill surround on some appears to be part of the front nose panel. Is this standard on some models or it's just a popular modification to blend in and paint the chrome surround for the grill? Just curious but it definitely makes the front end look cleaner without the chrome surround on the grill.

Judging by your avatar, I assume you are talking about the 59/60 Larks ?

Yes the chrome ring around the grill is clamped between the grill and the front panel. Remove the grill, the chrome ring falls off.
    I still have the one I removed from my 59 Lark hanging on the garage wall.

Mike

Comment

The chrome ring around the grille for 59 & 60 were part of the regal package that could be ordered as an option. 61 is different size even though they look a lot the same.
      Bob
      Bob
      Welland Ontario
      60 Lark Convertible
      64 Daytona
      sigpic
      "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1960_studebaker_lark_1540740940a31e93846fcf19489eIMG_4030.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1805984 So the Lark in the photo is one without the chrome surround fitted that you could fit a chrome surround to if so desired. Away with work at the moment so can't go and check on my Lark how it is.

Comment

Yes, the white car in the pic appears to be a '60 Lark with DELUXE trim. If it was a REGAL trim model, it would have the 2" chrome grille surround, chrome headlight "doors", and a thin chrome band around the side windows.
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Yes Post #5 explains what is actually going on with these "Regal" Trim Larks vs the Cheaper "Deluxe" Models, the only catch is there were NO 2 Dr. Sedans with Regal Trim, so any with a Chrome center grill Moulding are "owner" modified, the same goes for the Chrome Headlight Rims and Parking Light Housings.

In my opinion, a Deluxe just looks cheap and unfinished, I would be the first to upgrade it to look like a Regal.

Stainless Steel not chrome, side window surround mouldings were only on Regal 4 Door Sedans.

Here is what the Factory COULD have built:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by StudeRich; 10-12-2019, 11:54 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Yes Post #5 explains what is actually going on with these "Regal" Trim Larks vs the Cheaper "Deluxe" Models, the only catch is there were NO 2 Dr. Sedans with Regal Trim, so any with a Chrome center grill Moulding are "owner" modified, the same goes for the Chrome Headlight Rims and Parking Light Housings.

In my opinion, a Deluxe just looks cheap and unfinished, I would be the first to upgrade it to look like a Regal.

Stainless Steel not chrome, side window surround mouldings were only on Regal 4 Door Sedans.

Here is what the Factory COULD have built:
              It makes you wonder what the actual Factory cost would have been to make only Regal models. There would have to have been extra expense involved to offer painted verses chrome plated trim parts, different sheet metal stampings to accommodate body panels with or without certain mouldings, etc. The result would have been a more saleable product.

Comment

One needs to remember that Studebaker had plans to sell a lot of Larks as fleet vehicles, and succeded in some cities (eg, cabs in New York in 1959-60). Cab companies will not pay extra for chrome trim, so the company may actually have built enough base-model Larks to make the cheap parts a worthwhile investment.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Rich, is that your Lark?
                  1960 Lark VIII Convertibe
                  1964 Daytona *
                  1956 Stude PU *
                  1951 Stude PU *
                  1963 Lark *
                  1960 Lark Regal 4 door *
                  *= previously owned.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoman View Post
                    Rich, is that your Lark?
                    No, it WAS my Son Mike's and formerly belonged to the Bell Studebaker Museum and Diner in Bellingham (where the Photo was taken), but we sold it.
                    I believe it had a 259 Automatic, Power Steering and Factory Air Cond. Burgundy inside and out.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X