Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Beast???

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019...ed-street-rod/

I don't believe those "Studemino's" are one-of-a-kind as the newspaper writer states.

It IS a big improvement over the original's front clip with the ugly 5-mph bumper and totally unimaginative box front end.

Craig

Comment

Somewhere on a drive I have pictures of El Caminos and other cars like a Chevy Caprice that have this front clip and rear fender kit adapted to modern cars. Hardly one of a kind, and frankly - the end result is a little jarring with slab-sided modern styling not melding with the very curvy Studebaker profiles.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

A simple truth is that, sometimes, when attempting to inform others with our so-called "Wisdom," and erudite brilliance...we reveal our own limitations. I was thirty one years old when I (almost by accident), stumbled across and bought my first Studebaker. Before that, Studebaker was either an obscure oddity, rarely noticed, and easily mocked & made fun of. Unlike some of you, I had no fond youthful memories that involved the corporate name of Studebaker. Not until a few weeks (months?) after obtaining my oddly named old pickup truck, did I begin to learn of the rich history of the Studebaker story.

My view of this "One of a Kind" writer is that the Studemino is "One of a Kind," only because it is the only one that caught his attention. To me, it just reveals that (like me back in 1975) this writer is just another average citizen cruising along "Life's beaten Path"...occasionally, at some point, something odd will catch your attention. If it's the first time you have paid attention, in your mind, it will be "One of a Kind."

I'm not intending these comments as a negative attack on the author, but to remind us that our automotive experience is quite different from the general population. The author of this story seems to be an OK person. Thanks to computer technology, I believe just about any of us capable of operating a computer with a decent grammar and spell checker...could submit a publishable column on any subject, even if our knowledge was sketchy. Frankly, I think that a bullet nose golf cart, Avon perfume bottle, or El Camino is a flattering tribute to the legacy of Studebaker and view them all with a smile.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I don't believe those "Studemino's" are one-of-a-kind as the newspaper writer states.

It IS a big improvement over the original's front clip with the ugly 5-mph bumper and totally unimaginative box front end.

Craig
          They were a 'kit' with the fiberglass front end andthe rear fenders in glass' bolted onto a mid-GM..
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Kit still available:
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Why would a magazine that claims to appeal to the "classic car" community publish an article that claims that a common kit car/truck is one-of-a-kind? This is the kind of pablum you'd expect to see in USA Today or some local paper.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Why would a magazine that claims to appeal to the "classic car" community publish an article that claims that a common kit car/truck is one-of-a-kind? This is the kind of pablum you'd expect to see in USA Today or some local paper.
                Well, Skip...I think I know you well enough to believe you already know the answer to the question but wanted to inspire us to discover it without you having to blatantly spell it out! In my (not so) humble opinion...true journalism is anchored in FACTS. But, it seems that across all spectrum of journalism, regardless of the targeted audience, Factual reporting has been replaced with Personal Agenda Views. Simply put, journalism is adrift without its Fact Anchor. I don't know if (in this particular instance) it came about from having to submit "something,"...just to meet a deadline, or the editorial staff is ignorant and confused.

It does make me wonder...who, what, where, and when did this loss of FACT based journalism dissipate into drifting confusion? Could it be that journalism has been hijacked by the crowd confused about what sign (on the door) is appropriate to choose when nature calls them to desperately need a toilet?

Another observation, my road is approx one and a half mile long. There was a time when every home had a newspaper delivered every morning. Today, no longer...zero newspaper subscriptions. The once mighty local paper has sold it's building, belongs to a consolidated conglomerate, and what's left is printed on out of town presses that print other so-called "local" papers.

But...before anyone concludes I'm writing this from a perspective of "Self Righteous Arrogance"...A Confession...I too, have difficulty resisting the emotional appeal of glossy photos and catchy phrases. This week, while walking past the magazine rack at the grocery store, I stumbled across this magazine. It was not Hemmings, Hot Rod, or Motor Trend. Instead, it was unfamiliar to me. But, what caught my eye was a picture of a '37 Studebaker Coupe Express! So...I paid the 8 bucks (including tax). Don't know the writing inside is journalism (Fact)? But, it is Studebaker related.

Below is the link to the magazine's website
                http://www.ckdeluxe.com/
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Now this , ..........this is a beast.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Studeb...gAAOSwg9Rdl69D

Bill H
                  Daytona Beach
                  SDC member since 1970
                  Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

I would consider this a BEAST https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Studeb...temCondition=4 it kind of has an El Camino vibe! Yours for only $9999.95

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500 (1).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1805420

Comment

" Lot of time and money spent to make this run and look this nice."

That's his opinion.
                      Mine is different.
                      I'm sure there's something there that I would like if I were to see it up close.
                      I went back and looked at it again to find something nice to say about it.
                      Nice patina.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

John /Clary-
                        I think my real point (perhaps not clear) is that Classic Car Journal is supposed to appeal to old car nuts, like the Hemmings family of pubs, Collectible Automobile, etc. So I would think they would focus on informing us about old cars, like maybe the last Peerless V16 or the prototype Stude woody. Calling a currently commercially available kit a one-of-a-kind is the kind of mistake made by recent journalism graduates writing for a syndicate peddling material to a string of papers needing to fill up some space with meaningless fluff.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Technically, I think it could be a bit harsh, to condemn this poor clueless author, for his ignorance? I think, there is always some small degree of difference, between any two particular items. Enough, at least so that if you look every single detail, of either? It can be distinguished from any other, individual item. Saying something is a "one-of-a-kind". Doesn't nessecarally make it any more significant, than anything else in the world! The real question is, is it a reasonable price? And are you interested in trying to make a deal, with the seller, for it?

Mark
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

The "poor clueless author" is listed as being the editor of a collectible car hobby publication. Maybe he should know better. Either that, or I'm qualified to be the editor of a brain surgery journal.
                            Last edited by Skip Lackie; 10-08-2019, 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I checked..... He writes mostly about Euro stuff with a focus on Porsche. Pretty much tells me he'd be short on variants of domestic stuff. Ignorance is the right word for him - it doesn't mean stupid, it means he just didn't know (and probably didn't care).
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X