This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southeast Studebaker

After having very unsatisfactory results having my interior done locally...TWICE, I decided to bite the bullet and have the interior I've always lusted after, and phoned Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker. NICEST guy I ever talked to. After I got off the phone with him, I packed up all the interior bits and parts he needs and sent them off with the deposit. FINALLY a Southeast Studebaker concours interior...ALL of it!...
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 10-04-2019, 06:26 AM.

I got the interior for my '53 Commander from René back when he was operating the original Phantom Autoworks.
    He sent everything needed and I installed it; except for the seat covers.
    I had an upholstery shop replace all the foundation between the springs and the covers. The upholsterer was impressed with the quality and fitment of the Aero Gray cloth René had rewoven for these models.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rene made me some gorgeous replacement carpet for my Avanti a few years ago. Highly recommend...Mike
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Nothing but the best.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Yup!.....he does an excellent job!
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Excellent quality. However, I have been waiting for a year and a half for a red interior for my Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by abkco View Post
              Excellent quality. However, I have been waiting for a year and a half for a red interior for my Hawk.
              His ads state "six months", a long time. I do not know what the answer/reason is for 18 months and still not the final result.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I waited 18 months for the seat upholstery for my Avanti so that may not be uncommon. I think it somewhat depends on how many orders he gets for what and in what order.
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

My carpet took 4 months. It was worth the wait.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Is Southeast Studebaker still in business? I called today to order interior for our 1952 Commander and the voicemail is full. Then, I sent an email. No response.

Any information appreciated.

Comment

Check post #6. That's me and I'm still waiting. Its been an additional 2 years now. It's now close to 4 years waiting for my Hawk interior. My order was taken from him pre-covid, pre heart issues, pre-wife trouble, pre-cash flow problems, pre-can't get good help... You get the picture, I have heard all of the excuses. I have 2 orders with him, and don't expect to get them ever. For all the supporters of this guy, there is no excuse to take money and not deliver after 4 years. I know people who have been waiting longer than me. His quality was good, once upon a time, but if you get through to him he will take your money and you will not get your product. Do not use this guy.

Comment

Here's the link for when the two threads are not right next to each other any more:

After having very unsatisfactory results having my interior done locally...TWICE, I decided to bite the bullet and have the interior I've always lusted after, and phoned Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker. NICEST guy I ever talked to. After I got off the phone with him, I packed up all the interior bits and parts he needs and
                        Mark L

Comment

That's THIS one Mark. I think you wanted this New one:

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....still-in-busin
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gosh, I hate to see this. Too many times, good guys get in over their head and the results are like this due to compound problems to which they cannot "face up"...and then they pass away or become unable to work at all. I sure hope Rene at least finds the money somewhere to refund folks whose orders he'll not be able to fill. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The term, "A lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on our part" certainly applies here. One must keep in mind making seat covers is a craft that is very time consuming, especially if it is being made on a one-at-a-time basis. Ever track the time it took grandma to knit one sweater? It stands to reason someone with an excellent track record for manufacturing an outstanding product will be demand when he advertises his services to the public, and if he gets inundated with orders, regardless of the cost, the enemy of time will stand in the way. One cannot fault a good craftsman who cares about his work for that. And this would be another reason why he cannot hire just anyone off the street, or a job board to fill a position where quality control and precision/accuracy/authenticity come into play. There is only one chance to get it correct the first time, and it its not, there's a few days of wasted effort gone you never get back. Cut the poor individual some slack.

For those who are unable to wait any longer, I hope he is able to offer a refund. And for those who are presently restoring a car, order things that take a long time to fabricate like interiors and wiring harnesses, etc., order it NOW! Not the day or week before the International Meet when you want to show off your car.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X