Only paid members will be able to post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
    Meanwhile rumors are flying; some in the masses are emotionally charged, and influencing others in a movement toward full panic mode.

Meanwhile, feedback, such as that posted here, will provide them food for thought.
    Joe, good way to put it - panic mode.

As you mention, hopefully this feedback will provide input to Board Members, although I'm not sure if many of them visit the forum. At least there are a few.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Skip -Your about ten years is just a bit conservative/modest (as you are). I believe that you were a Board Member 1979-1984 and 2005-2010 and VP 1982-1985. You exceeded my eight years on the Board. However, when I wasn't on the Board, many years I was proxy for Harry Barnes or our Zone's Director. As you probably remember, even as a spectator/interested member, I sat through many of those marathon Board Meetings.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

Joe, good way to put it - panic mode.

As you mention, hopefully this feedback will provide input to Board Members, although I'm not sure if many of them visit the forum. At least there are a few.
        I agree that's there nothing wrong with a continued discussion on this topic as I will continue to point out, It is not a rumor but a motion made, seconded , passed and agreed to by all members present. If the "all members present" part of it doesn't suggest the views of a large number of board members are in favor of charging then I don't know what would.
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-06-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Bob, as I have stated before and will reiterate here again, "Just because a motion is made, seconded and approved by all present" does not mean it will be implemented today, tomorrow or even next year. What it does do is give the Board the opportunity to enact it when and if the choose. Having been involved in both Corporate and Not-For-Profit Boards, I have seen this exact thing done before. If you disagree with this you have the right to stand for election as the Zone Coordinator or the Zone Director of the Crossroads Zone in the 2021 election cycle and then have the opportunity to impact the operation of the club. Earlier today I said" the Forum will remain tomorrow as it was yesterday." Simply state for the foreseeable future it is going to stay the way it is meaning there is no change in the Forum operation. PM me or email me outside of here and I am more than willing to discuss it with you further.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The thing that just makes no sense is that, several people keep saying that they would not like to have to PAY to use the Forum! That is NOT what the rummer quoted in Post #1 said.

Did I miss something? I do not think anyone said that was even an option!

Being a Club Member is the logical way to keep truly interested Stude. owners informed by allowing them to Post on the Forum. Non members could read it until they realize the value of it, and sign up.

I just can't believe that it would be a hardship for someone who Owns, Restores, Repairs and or Maintains a Classic Car to afford the 6.57 cents a Day for the first year and the 8.49 cents a Day thereafter, to be a Member.

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            If the first thing a new poster sees on the site is a block that says you need to pay $0.12, $10 or $100 it's off putting. I'll be darned if I went to a site that charged me up front that I'd go any further.

If you're here for a time, possibly a reminder occasionally that the site costs money to run and it would be nice if you joined but to not welcome new members unless they pay is not logical in my mind.

I'll be here drinking my morning coffee awaiting the defense of charging new folks for accessing the site.

Bob
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
              Bob, as I have stated before and will reiterate here again, "Just because a motion is made, seconded and approved by all present" does not mean it will be implemented today, tomorrow or even next year. What it does do is give the Board the opportunity to enact it when and if the choose. Having been involved in both Corporate and Not-For-Profit Boards, I have seen this exact thing done before. If you disagree with this you have the right to stand for election as the Zone Coordinator or the Zone Director of the Crossroads Zone in the 2021 election cycle and then have the opportunity to impact the operation of the club. Earlier today I said" the Forum will remain tomorrow as it was yesterday." Simply state for the foreseeable future it is going to stay the way it is meaning there is no change in the Forum operation. PM me or email me outside of here and I am more than willing to discuss it with you further.
              I don't particularly want to keep this alive by answering but my original premise was it's not a rumor, it's fact because it's in black and white in the minutes. That opinion still stands particularly in view of the unanimous nature of the vote and those outcomes aren't generated by happenstance.

Secondly, the answer to every query is not" well why don't you run for office and advocate for change". I chose not to run for a number of reasons and those reasons are the same as running for President, Congress, State, Local and/or other club office. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate those that do run and hold office, just the opposite I have great admiration for you folks that did and do, but you all knew what you were walking into and we all big folks here. It also doesn't mean I can't express my opinion on topics I see a detrimental to an organization I'm supporting or involved with as I am here.

IAC, I'll now excuse myself from this discourse and just monitor where the subject of the posting takes us.

Bob

Comment

We are loosing members right? if having this forum free brings in one new member then we are moving forward in the right direction. I think the club can afford the cost of a free forum. just my 2 cents worth.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Not sure about this.

Comment

So if this shortsighted legislation becomes law, I guess that we'll see those of you that balk at paying, on FaceBook.
                    Bill

Comment

I belong to a club (any club) for one reason.
                      Fun.
                      The minute the club, or anyone in the club, removes the fun... See ya'..
                      Only have so many days left on this infested ball of a planet,
                      and there isn't a club out there that is worth wasting time on unless there is fun and enjoyment out there...
                      The cost is immaterial and all-important all at once. Having fun is an investment. Paying not to have fun is just dumb.
                      Reading this thread churn is like eating kale that hasn't been washed.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        I belong to a club (any club) for one reason.
                        Fun...
                        ...Reading this thread churn is like eating kale that hasn't been washed.
                        AMEN TO THAT! SO...this topic has been "churning" for four days. I believe that after only ONE day, it became a circular discussion going no where, and resolving nothing. For now, nobody is charging anybody anything! Personally, I see no value in keeping subject stirring. In fact, I would love to see this thread disappear! Anyone wishing to, can copy it, or portions of it, paste it into a "word" document, and save it for later to remind anyone in the future what a hornet's nest it could become.

But for now, I think we need to move on to important stuff we rarely hear about, like...solving vapor lock, wheel pullers, different by design, dished pistons, forked valves, oil leaks, and suspension squeaks...

Our moderator can't just up & lock the thread because, given the current atmosphere...someone will accuse him of taking sides. So, let's choose to close it down ourselves and go have some fun.

John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yeah, c'mon guys, let's move on. Don has given his statement (several times) that there is no change coming in the foreseeable future, and I will take him at his word. Anyone who wants to discuss further can contact their SDC Zone Rep, board members, etc.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

But for now, I think we need to move on to important stuff we rarely hear about, like...solving vapor lock, wheel pullers, different by design, dished pistons, forked valves, oil leaks, and suspension squeaks...
                            This is good, real good, Kinda makes me get a doubley fuzzy feeling, when you was sure to include "oil Leaks". Makes me think of how much I like Studebaker, and Harleys. LOL, LOL. Set me to thinkin!! I think it should make me and others renew our membership. Just sayin !! After all , as Jeff said: Small price for all the fun we have.
                            Last edited by showbizkid; 10-08-2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X