No announcement yet.

Only paid members will be able to post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only paid members will be able to post?

I saw mention that a decision has been made that at some point soon only paid members will be able to post on the forum. I tried the terrible search function and even tried searching on Google but couldn’t find anything on it. Is this really true? If so, who’s idea was this, and why? And, when will it start?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

For ten bucks to join the international SDC, it's not a big deal for me. The SDC does host the site. Maybe five free posts or something like that? Who knows.

Similarly, when I was working the gate at Mansfield, I got several "What? It costs money to walk around the swap meet?" questions. This is not brand-new at international meets, and who do folks think pays for the fairground for the better part of a week? I told folks "I'm working here and I still had to pay". That didn't seem to win over anybody.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
      For ten bucks to join the international SDC, it's not a big deal for me.
      Annual membership does NOT break the bank. Many pay more than that a year for 'basic' cable TV.

Craig

Comment

If the first thing a new poster sees on the site is a block that says you need to pay $0.12, $10 or $100 it's off putting. I'll be darned if I went to a site that charged me up front that I'd go any further.

If you're here for a time, possibly a reminder occasionally that the site costs money to run and it would be nice if you joined but to not welcome new members unless they pay is not logical in my mind.

I'll be here drinking my morning coffee awaiting the defense of charging new folks for accessing the site.

Bob

Comment

Okay, I admit that I’m new to the game and have only been hanging around the Forum for a little over 9 years but during that time I have found the Forum to be a great source of information and, in some cases, new Studebaker friends. That said, I am interested in anything that might reduce participation in the Forum.

Are we positive that the $10.00 is, in fact, about to be put into place? I apparently have missed seeing anything regarding that until today.

Do we have any data on how many members of the Forum are not also members of SDC? If we do, please share that. I think that piece of information would be helpful in talking about potentially limiting participation by that group.

In this age when data is so readily available that it sometimes just overwhelms us, it might even be possible to see how many of the non-SDC members participate by posting and even the volume (as determined by their member designation shown below their name. That could also be helpful.

If every non-SDC member contributed $10.00/year how much would that increase the revenue of SDC? I don’t recall the last Treasurers report details but in general I have the feeling that SDC is doing fairly well.

Without knowing the answer to any of the above, I can only say that I like the open nature of the Forum and the ability of everyone to participate as long as they follow some basic, understandable rules. I would hate to see us limit that participation by valued members because of a $10.00 fee.

My $0.02 worth
          Nick

Comment

Personally I can't understand why anyone who owns a Studebaker, or who has an interest in them, wouldn't join the SDC. The benefits far, far outweigh the costs IMHO. It's a "pitching in" thing IMHO.

My feeling is that if $10 a year would keep someone from contributing here....well, the less-said the better.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
              Personally I can't understand why anyone who owns a Studebaker, or who has an interest in them, wouldn't join the SDC. The benefits far, far outweigh the costs IMHO. It's a "pitching in" thing IMHO.

My feeling is that if $10 a year would keep someone from contributing here....well, the less-said the better.
              That's because you are a pre-programmed Stude owner.

Let's try this when you go on the site for the first time and you just saw 50 Bullet nose that interested you at a car show.

" Welcome to the SDC site that appreciates your interest in one of the best orphan marques on record. The club is 12,000 or so strong and can assist you many ways as you become more interested our brand. There are many posters here than can help and assist in answering your questions."

OBTW, please put 5 $2.00 coins in the slot on the left side of your computer or share your paypal address to proceed.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                If the first thing a new poster sees on the site is a block that says you need to pay $0.12, $10 or $100 it's off putting. I'll be darned if I went to a site that charged me up front that I'd go any further.

If you're here for a time, possibly a reminder occasionally that the site costs money to run and it would be nice if you joined but to not welcome new members unless they pay is not logical in my mind.

Bob

X2 ...hopefully if the SDC does ask for payment for forum use it will be on a donation or volunteer basis. cheers, junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Although if you looked back at my first post on this thread, I'd be for maybe five free posts or the like. But I joined the club back when I did because I felt it'd be worth it. And that was with no experience with the club whatsoever.

I still haven't actually seen or read anything that said the details about this really happening.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

X2 ...hopefully if the SDC does ask for payment for forum use it will be on a donation or volunteer basis. cheers, junior

Good luck there!
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

A couple of years ago, I bought a (low mileage used) $20,000 motorcycle at approx a third of it's original price. There are several forums devoted to BMW motorcycles. The one I joined has three levels of membership. Regular (free), Premium ($15 per year), Lifetime (one $40 charge for life) I chose lifetime.

Even with a lifetime membership, until you contribute at least 10 posts, you are not able to post pictures or links. This helps to discourage scammers and one time (I call "drive-by" troublemaker posters) and, like here, is a relatively useful & enjoyable experience in civility. What the three levels of membership provide is different levels of participation like how much capacity of files (pictures, size of avatar/storage space/ pics, etc.) that are available to you. Free members have to put up with pop up advertisements. Paid subscribers do not have annoying advertising.

My thought is that I wouldn't mind something similar here as long as it is structured in a manner that adds value to the experience. As a long time member of the SDC, I see this forum as a beacon to potential new members, and essential to our continued success. Those of us who have "Paid Our Dues," of money and time, need to welcome others in a manner that encourages others to want to contribute and support our overall interests.
                      That means to lead with a welcoming hand and holding back resentment.

Those who stumble by with hidden agendas and are not really in for the long haul will eventually wander away no matter what we do.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well said jclary .

I think I have mentioned it elsewhere, but one statistic that has amazed me over the past couple of years is the drop in age of new Forum registrants. We are now getting signups from folks born in the 1980s and '90s! Welcoming and helping them is the key to helping our club (and interest in our marque) survive.
                        Last edited by showbizkid; 10-03-2019, 10:34 AM.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Im gonna call BS on needing to pay to post on the site. Anyone have proof?

Comment

I believe this was voted on at Mansfield. I'm sure a Board member will chime in with details soon.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It is absolutely amazing how rumors start and are spread by many with no proof as to their validity. So lets put this one to bed quickly. The SDC does have the right to charge for our Forum use as do all other forums that are in operation. Some do make a charge, some have a tiered program like John mentioned and others are free. To date, the SDC's forum remains open to all and will for the foreseeable future. If and when there is a change in that position I am sure there will be plenty of notice, but that could be as long as 10 years or more. I am sure there more important things to discuss on this forum so please let's stop the rumor mill and deal with the real issues. Thanks.

Don Jones
                              Special Projects Manager SDC

sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X