Followup to "Most recent Avanti woes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Followup to "Most recent Avanti woes"

Now have new fuel pump, two clear filters, new steel and rubber gas lines and completely rebuilt carburetor. The good news: the car is back to running great! Bad news: the rear filter is already showing some particulate accumulation. The car is parked. The rear filter will be changed out asap. Apparently about 8-10 years is all a gas tank boiling and clean out is worth. There is obviously degradation of the gas tank metal - again. Any recommendations as to how to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated. Should I have the tank removed and cleaned again? Should I try to find a replacement tank? Should I have a new one made out of stainless steel or aluminum by our local metal fabricator? Also, isn't the tank located behind the rear seat? What is the best way to remove it. I was not present at the shop where/when it was removed and cleaned years ago. Is it possible to clean it out any way without removal? Any help/suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Files
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

If it were me, I would just keep an eye on the first filter, as you have been. When it looks like it has enough debris to partially block the fuel, change it out. You might get the tank fairly clean by driving the car, and changing filters. If the flow of debris doesn't seem to diminish, then the tank will likely need to be cleaned. Does the contamination look like metal particles, or some sort of tank lining that is starting to degrade? I'm guessing that if it looks like tank lining, the problem will only get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
      If it were me, I would just keep an eye on the first filter, as you have been. When it looks like it has enough debris to partially block the fuel, change it out. You might get the tank fairly clean by driving the car, and changing filters. If the flow of debris doesn't seem to diminish, then the tank will likely need to be cleaned. Does the contamination look like metal particles, or some sort of tank lining that is starting to degrade? I'm guessing that if it looks like tank lining, the problem will only get worse.
      The debris/particulate appears black in color and seems like a combination of fine particulate rust and sediment. I am going to try another filter as a first step. I was just hoping to determine how significant fixing or replacing the tank would be - since I'm sure many on this site have had experience doing so over the years. Thank you for your help.
      edp/NC
      \'63 Avanti
      \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
      X