Problem Child disappoints.....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Child disappoints.....again

After many challenges she's been running real good for the last six months (20 or so short trips around town).....so got up enough confidence to drive her on a 100 mile round trip to the PSWZM in Sacrament this past weekend......bingo!.....less than two miles from home she dies at highway speeds on the freeway no less! (fuel pump went bad) But, I'm NOT giving up on her! Some sympathy needed.....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Well...blame the fuel pump...not the car it's bolted to. But, if you become totally discouraged with it, you are free to abandon it in my driveway. The hike back home will be quite an adventure.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Darn the Luck! If it helps any, the hike back home is much shorter from my house. I read your other post that said you found a fuel pump, so hopefully that will take care of the issues for a while.

Comment

I'll one-up the previous two, I'll come and get the old gal any time you like! then again... do I really need yet another Studebaker around here? What the heck! Always room for one more!

Keep driving her Lou. Eventually all the problems will be worked out.
        ​​​​​​​
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You probably saw him at the show Lou, but my dads car did the same thing on the way to Sacramento, died just a couple miles from home on the freeway. His wasn't a fuel problem though, from his description I'm betting it's the same problem your Avanti had in april. I guess he lied to the AAA guy, he told them its probably the only Studebaker they'd find on that highway in a year. What are the odds, two 55+ year old Studes ( a C and a K) stuck on the side of the freeway just a few miles apart in 2019. Ain't Stude life crazy.
          sigpic

Comment

I have an electric fuel pump as a backup; so far I've not needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
              I have an electric fuel pump as a backup; so far I've not needed it.
              Problem with that is if the mechanical pump, failed because of a torn or punctured diaphragm, the electric pump will pump into the crankcase if it's in series with the mechanical pump. If it's the back flow valve that failed you're probably ok, but how will you know without removing the mechanical pump and checking it out?
              sigpic

Comment

I guess the alternative would be to have a spare in the trunk. I had similar problem and discovered the eccentric the fuel pump arm rests on was badly worn. Just a "small" problem. Oh well.

Comment

When you are driving a fifty six year old car you must expect problems to appear at any moment. If not a total restoration parts will constantly fail. Age is your enemy, not parts..... Keep your chin up and push forward.
                  It is an addiction!

Comment

Even a total restoration wont fix your problems for long. Seems like the repop parts only last about a 4th of what the factory parts did.

Comment

Working...
                    X